Photo

How do you remove jib keys from a shaft?

20 replies to this topic

#11 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • Interests:trying to educate people on how bad liberals are .

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

New Holland makes "Gib Key Pullers" they are a punch thats tappered, half moon shaped that the farther you drive it in the more pressure it puts on it. We use them on the Balers a lot. If you want I'll dig up the part#'s and post them.

i sure would like that .
To all the white people of America who honestly feel that the black people have been so mistreated and given such a bad deal in this country I can only suggest that you should move yourself and your family, if you have such, into one of their neighborhoods and do everything necessary to become a integral part of their society, make every effort to blend your lifestyle into theirs, go to their stores, churches, and social gathering places for your needed things in life. send your children to schools where their children are the majority of the enrollment, and where they mostly compose the faculty and administration, get a job where they are in the majority and hold the important management positions...and most importantly of all, go the many prisons where they are being, justly...and unjustly, incarcerated and visit them and see them trying to be rehabilitated, but obviously so suppressed in their efforts that rehabilitation is just impossible. Then, after you have really gotten to know these people...many, many, many of them, from all walks of their lives and societies, and seeing their obvious appreciation of life in America, come forward and make suggestions as to how we white people should go about changing our ideals and society to better accept and integrate these people into our lives so that in a reasonable amount time there will be no more distinctions or differences in how we whites and blacks view each other and the hoped for blending and melding of our races can be completed and we can love and appreciate one another as you must think God intended.

I cannot take credit for these words ,Wish i could

#12 Super A

Super A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:16 PM

New Holland makes "Gib Key Pullers" they are a punch thats tappered, half moon shaped that the farther you drive it in the more pressure it puts on it. We use them on the Balers a lot. If you want I'll dig up the part#'s and post them.

i sure would like that .

Me too!
Al
Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest. Super A, 424, 230, Super M, Cub, 52R combines, R-160 truck, 856 D, Super A-1, 12 geese, and 7 cats

#13 turbo10

turbo10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:looking for anything 1456, factory mfwd, gold demo, wheatland/standard

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

yea new holland made them idk if they do anymore but there is a left punch and a right punch they changed the angle on the curve part and the last i knew they was EXSPENSIVE and dont really work all that good inless ya have someone with a channelock to hold it down in place

#14 rancherman84

rancherman84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:atv's,outdoors,RED tractors

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

claas sends a GIB key puller with every chopper.after dealing with them for last ten years i'll add the best way i have found.first off dont just put your gib key puller in against the head and start hammering,you break the head off very easy.get a heavy pipe that just fits over the shaft and drive the pulley in away from the gib keys head,then use your gib key puller to remove the key.as stated before the puller is just a wedge,flat on one side a tapered on the other,so as you drive it against the key it digs into the head.if used correctly you shouldnt need channel locks or anything to hold them down.

2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA,08 CURTIS SNO-PRO 3000 PHASE 2
CERTIFIED CASEIH TECH.
CERTIFIED CLAAS JAGUAR MASTER TECH.
farms tractors,super C,M,240,2)806's,885,966 w turbo,1466,2)3588's,1660,2388,9230 and 64 cat D8

#15 TimsIHtractors

TimsIHtractors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Family and farming IH experiences on a C, Super C, 2x M, 3x Super M's, 2x 450, 460, 656 G&D, 706 282D, 2x 826D, 2x 856, 1456, 966, 1066BS, 3588, 3788, 5288. Harvesting and dairying with all and a fleet of New Idea Uni equipment.

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

You gotta get a pipe over the shaft so it is on the pulley and pound the pulley in. Emory cloth the back side of the shaft, and when you get it to move off the key, shine up the shaft on the way out. My pa broke a EXPENSIVE pulley on my 76 trying to pry out a gib key like a retard. I got home and had the pulley off in 10 minutes. Though by then it was in two parts. 82 combines have a couple as well, once I ran them a few times they are OK, but DEFINATELY not preferred. Some guys build pullers out of truck leaf springs, I don't really understand how they are supposed to work. As long as my pipe, mauls, emery cloth and PB blaster work I don't have to do anything special for as often as I have to mess with one. The stuck ones sure can be buggers. BEAT THAT PULLEY IN!!! Trying to pull out before you push in is a sin!!!
Rivertop Reds Dairy&Harvesting
I love IH!!! I own three Super M's, 826GD with diamond cab, 1130 MF (the ugly duckling), 5288.
Starting dairy farming in 2007... What a ride. Record highs, record lows, record rains, record droughts...

Milking Holstiens (red and b&w) and Jerseys on our 70 cow operation. God bless small American Farms...
I enjoy dairy farming with my wife and custom harvesting with an assortment of New Idea Uni huskers, shellers, choppers, and combines (703,705,708x2,709RWA with 767,737,717x2,858 attachments). I combine small grain and soybeans with IH 315 and 82 (with pickup head) combines. Collecting 234 and 2-MH/2M-HD era pickers and shellers and attaching hardware.

#16 Jason-WesternOH

Jason-WesternOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Interests:Varmit hunting, Farming, Tractor Pulling

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:38 AM

Trying to pull out before you push in is a sin!!!

aint that the truth..... :lol:
If it was FUN, they wouldn't call it WORK!

Proud owner of a IH 5088, IH 350 Diesel Utility, Farmall M and a JD 4020
Not so proud owner of an absolute JUNK Case IH 7140

#17 Old Pokey

Old Pokey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Interests:Track layers. High speed tracks and undercarriages.<br /><br /> Target shooting.

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

Here's alink with a few pics.
http://forum1.aimoo....ickName_1456155

There is a bar that most folks have in their tool box called a "gibs bar", but they dont know that this is the purpose of that tool. It is a bar with a specific shaped hook on one end. Sometimes it will have a "button" on the back side of the hook. This is to push against the part that the gib key is holding.
I cant believe I cant find a pic of a gib's bar. :angry:

Here's a few more pieces about those famous little..................................things.

http://talk.newagtal...=100918#M100918

http://talk.newagtal...tmode=1#M487109

A "zip gun" is allmost essential for the removal of stubborn gib keys.

#18 ozfarm

ozfarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

we are of course assuming that said gib keys have been shifted in the last couple of decades & u as mite have realised, axial flows come to aust as deck cargo, which means sea air and corrosion

just spent couple of unsucessfull days trying to remove the slip clutch on the feeder of a 1660

even went to extent of drilling the keys out, all was going resonably well untill a key galled 1/2 way out :( :( :( :( :(

oh well, the slip clutch hubs arent 2 badly priced :(

whoever came up with the bright of gib keys should staked out over a bullants nest :angry:

"THE V8 HUNTER
Rural Wrecking
WA Division
Ozfarms Vintage Garden Tractors
and common garden variety genius

109 CubCadet SnowPlough(whisked out of my grasp by a cunning 696IH who exploited my weak point),682 CubCadet 782 CubCadet,,JD 140H3,JD112,JD110,660D,560D NF Fast Hitch,540 ploughTD9,,TD9B,150,Farmall Cub , Farmall C,2btm plough, Farmall 340,FH plough,mower,blade
and other goodies too fascinating to mention
i gotta snowplough now......

#19 T 20

T 20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:'32 T 20 with Homemade Blade & Electric Starter, '36 T 20 with homemade electric starter

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:03 AM

oz,
What's a bullant?
Mo
'32 T 20 with Homemade Blade & Electric Starting
'36 T 20 with homemade electric starter

#20 ozfarm

ozfarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:18 AM

oz,
What's a bullant?
Mo

big bitey critter :D

larger ant that has the bite equiv to someone setting vise-grips on to your finger

"THE V8 HUNTER
Rural Wrecking
WA Division
Ozfarms Vintage Garden Tractors
and common garden variety genius

109 CubCadet SnowPlough(whisked out of my grasp by a cunning 696IH who exploited my weak point),682 CubCadet 782 CubCadet,,JD 140H3,JD112,JD110,660D,560D NF Fast Hitch,540 ploughTD9,,TD9B,150,Farmall Cub , Farmall C,2btm plough, Farmall 340,FH plough,mower,blade
and other goodies too fascinating to mention
i gotta snowplough now......

Reply to this topic