injectors stuck in 8v71

9 replies to this topic

#1 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • Interests:trying to educate people on how bad liberals are .

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

my old 4200 wont do anything but idle ,i have about determined the injectors are stuck.

the rack will not move .

with a book could i tear the injectors apart ?.

any other ways to unstick ,while in engine?

thanks
To all the white people of America who honestly feel that the black people have been so mistreated and given such a bad deal in this country I can only suggest that you should move yourself and your family, if you have such, into one of their neighborhoods and do everything necessary to become a integral part of their society, make every effort to blend your lifestyle into theirs, go to their stores, churches, and social gathering places for your needed things in life. send your children to schools where their children are the majority of the enrollment, and where they mostly compose the faculty and administration, get a job where they are in the majority and hold the important management positions...and most importantly of all, go the many prisons where they are being, justly...and unjustly, incarcerated and visit them and see them trying to be rehabilitated, but obviously so suppressed in their efforts that rehabilitation is just impossible. Then, after you have really gotten to know these people...many, many, many of them, from all walks of their lives and societies, and seeing their obvious appreciation of life in America, come forward and make suggestions as to how we white people should go about changing our ideals and society to better accept and integrate these people into our lives so that in a reasonable amount time there will be no more distinctions or differences in how we whites and blacks view each other and the hoped for blending and melding of our races can be completed and we can love and appreciate one another as you must think God intended.

I cannot take credit for these words ,Wish i could

#2 markloff

markloff

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Anything that breaks down, makes noise and stinks.

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:26 PM

my old 4200 wont do anything but idle ,i have about determined the injectors are stuck.

the rack will not move .

thanks

Try penetrating oil sprayed into the rack on both ends and into the fuel in and out ports. Let sit for a day and repeat a few times over a few days. If that doesn't work try carb cleaner. Carb cleaner WILL work but I am unaware if it will cause damage to any o-rings or seals in the injectors. You could also try running some ATF fluid through the fuel system. Maybe start it up on a kerosene/ATF cocktail and let sit for a day and repeat a few times. What ever you do don't try giving it throttle while running. Well, maybe if it's in road gear and you can dump the clutch. It's what I had to do when I set my rack to the wrong side on my little 2-71. Good thing I was smart enough to put it in road gear before I started it up!

Mark
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over”

Dr. Joseph Goebbels

Propaganda Ministry, Nazi Germany (Did you think algore was smart enough to come up with his techniques on his own?)

#3 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • Interests:trying to educate people on how bad liberals are .

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:25 AM

thanks ,ill give that a try .

dont you have the 2-71 in a M ?
To all the white people of America who honestly feel that the black people have been so mistreated and given such a bad deal in this country I can only suggest that you should move yourself and your family, if you have such, into one of their neighborhoods and do everything necessary to become a integral part of their society, make every effort to blend your lifestyle into theirs, go to their stores, churches, and social gathering places for your needed things in life. send your children to schools where their children are the majority of the enrollment, and where they mostly compose the faculty and administration, get a job where they are in the majority and hold the important management positions...and most importantly of all, go the many prisons where they are being, justly...and unjustly, incarcerated and visit them and see them trying to be rehabilitated, but obviously so suppressed in their efforts that rehabilitation is just impossible. Then, after you have really gotten to know these people...many, many, many of them, from all walks of their lives and societies, and seeing their obvious appreciation of life in America, come forward and make suggestions as to how we white people should go about changing our ideals and society to better accept and integrate these people into our lives so that in a reasonable amount time there will be no more distinctions or differences in how we whites and blacks view each other and the hoped for blending and melding of our races can be completed and we can love and appreciate one another as you must think God intended.

I cannot take credit for these words ,Wish i could

#4 markloff

markloff

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

thanks ,ill give that a try .

dont you have the 2-71 in a M ?

Yea. Super M actually.

Mark
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over”

Dr. Joseph Goebbels

Propaganda Ministry, Nazi Germany (Did you think algore was smart enough to come up with his techniques on his own?)

#5 oleman

oleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

the rack will not move .

thanks

You are very lucky, normally the injector/rack sticks wide open and at startup it runs away!!!!!
If you are using the new style with individual spring loaded arms you can determine the stuck injector by simply pushing on the controll arm of the injector. The old solid rack will require removing the control shaft to work an individual injector.
I think you will find that (there is actually nothing about the rack to stick after you verify the linkage) you have an injector seized internally and the only cure will be replacement.
They are less than $100. exchange at a detroit diesel dealer.
I have attempted to free-up mine (removed from engine) by soaking for a week in penetrating oil, and oven baking at 350F in hydraulic oil, nothing worked.
The injector can be disassembled but the very thin sleeve that is used for fuel metering is probably rusted the shaft it rides on.
Water ruins a 71 injector very quickly.
I have tried the cheap fix by buying injectors off ebay; every one I got was either stuck or the wrong one.
By the way I have a N65 reliabilt injector that is good you can for the price of shipping.
I bought it off ebay its good but my old 2 valve engine uses HV injectors and the N is shaped differently.
Nothing like a 71 blowing smoke on a cold morning.
My experience is current, maintaining a 3-71 boat motor for the past 3 years.

#6 markloff

markloff

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:49 AM

the rack will not move .

thanks

You are very lucky, normally the injector/rack sticks wide open and at startup it runs away!!!!!
If you are using the new style with individual spring loaded arms you can determine the stuck injector by simply pushing on the controll arm of the injector. The old solid rack will require removing the control shaft to work an individual injector.
I think you will find that (there is actually nothing about the rack to stick after you verify the linkage) you have an injector seized internally and the only cure will be replacement.
I have attempted to free-up mine (removed from engine) by soaking for a week in penetrating oil, and oven baking at 350F in hydraulic oil, nothing worked.
The injector can be disassembled but the very thin sleeve that is used for fuel metering is probably rusted the shaft it rides on.
I have tried the cheap fix by buying injectors off ebay; every one I got was either stuck or the wrong one.
By the way I have a N65 reliabilt injector that is good you can for the price of shipping.
I bought it off ebay its good but my old 2 valve engine uses HV injectors and the N is shaped differently.

You can put the new offset style injectors in the old two valve heads with a bit of work. I just changed my 2-71 over a couple of months ago. Slightly modify the rack, get the new style clamps and modify the shape of one of the fuel tubes is all you have to do. It really opens up the options of injectors you can then use.

Mark

Dr. Joseph Goebbels

#7 oleman

oleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

the rack will not move .

thanks

You can put the new offset style injectors in the old two valve heads with a bit of work. I just changed my 2-71 over a couple of months ago. Slightly modify the rack, get the new style clamps and modify the shape of one of the fuel tubes is all you have to do. It really opens up the options of injectors you can then use.

Mark

I will keep this in mind because I want to switch to the spring loaded rack for startup safety.
At that time I will switch to N injectors.
According to the book, the N's are higher pressure and cleaner running.
I will probably never go to a 4-valve head unless the 2-valve develops a problem.
Mine is a General Motors Diesel around 1955 issue.

#8 edwardporter1

edwardporter1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Interests:Anything IH, History, my family

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

SEA FOAM in the filters start her up The stuff works wonders

#9 Norm W

Norm W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

Just a heads-up on the two valve injectors. You can replace them with HN injectors. They are "N" type with the "HV" top. I have HN55 in my 671 20,000# and 10.5 mpg. The Detriot dealer was clueless. The parts "BOY" didn't know a thing about them, or didn't want to. They are available from rebuilders. Norm

#10 markloff

markloff

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

Just a heads-up on the two valve injectors. You can replace them with HN injectors. They are "N" type with the "HV" top. I have HN55 in my 671 20,000# and 10.5 mpg. The Detriot dealer was clueless. The parts "BOY" didn't know a thing about them, or didn't want to. They are available from rebuilders. Norm

That's true. I initially had some 70's built that way too. The same company that built them said that they couldn't build 90's that way for some reason so I decided to convert over to the offset ones and be done with it. The company really turned out to be pretty flaky though so I'm not sure if they truly can't make them in anything larger than a size 70 or just didn't want to bother.

Mark

Dr. Joseph Goebbels

Reply to this topic