Photo

What do you know about David Brown tractors?

16 replies to this topic

#11 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,346 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

David Brown=GARBAGE!!!!!!!

When Case started to import those tractors I worked at a Case dealership. After going to the mechanics school for them we all KNEW that they were poorly designed, poorly manufactured and used substandard components. IMHO The transmission was the most problematic followed by the hydraulic system. The Lucas (prince of darkness) electrical system is a haphazard mess of poorly made bits and pieces thrown together. Power Steering system on most of the models was never make to last more than a few years.

Other than those few things they were a great little tractor. :lol:

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

#12 TxFarmallFan

TxFarmallFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

When Case started to import those tractors I worked at a Case dealership. After going to the mechanics school for them we all KNEW that they were poorly designed, poorly manufactured and used substandard components. IMHO The transmission was the most problematic followed by the hydraulic system. The Lucas (prince of darkness) electrical system is a haphazard mess of poorly made bits and pieces thrown together. Power Steering system on most of the models was never make to last more than a few years.

Yup, thats what I was told by several professional wrenches.

#13 Guest_pukeko_*

Guest_pukeko_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

I disagree,when I was growing up,there were thousands of them ,in New zealand and Australia,and they did a lot of work.A lot of problems arise with the Nth American "thing" of sticking great big loaders on small agricultural tractors ,and wondering why they crap themselves(even W6,s etc do that with loaders).David brown have a long history of manufactuing;they built the first Ferguson ,also made transmissions for lots of other people including some prewar racing cars.Initially ,they were a gear builder prior to manufacturing tractors.If you worked for another ,manufacturer,obviously you will be biased against another product,but just because you went to a mechanics school,doesn,t make you an "expert" on a product you nver saw before.I did my appreticeship on Ford tractors ,but l still like IH and lots of others and recognize none of them are perfect!You are right about Lucas electrics though,We fixed lots of that crap!

#14 TxFarmallFan

TxFarmallFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

Well, Ive heard enough bad to sour me on even trying this one. Think I'll let someone else have it.

#15 495man

495man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:IH Farm Equipment

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

David Brown obviously had enough following that CaseIH kept building them alongside of the 85 series with several being close in power i.e 685/1394 885/1494 etc.

There are a few farms around here that were all David Brown and there are still quite a few running the old 885's, 995's, 1210's etc. etc. with a few 90 and 94 series around.

My opinion is the IH design tractor was superior to the David Brown design tractor hence the Doncaster plant kpet it's line right up until divesting by CaseNH to Argo. David Brown did have the "hydra-shift" 4-speed power shift, which the 85 series did not have. The Maxxum's effective replaced the remaining 94 series David Brown based Cases.

#16 Dave McCallister

Dave McCallister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Interests:Predictive Maintenance. Rebuilding old iron

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

I'm not going to tell my 1212 that I've put a few thousand hours on the last 20 years what you fellows have said about his ancestry. I've put all of $1600.00 and some change in it in those 20 years. :D This ole tractor don't owe me a thing.

I wonder why the Amish take all of them they can get? :unsure:

Lucas and smoke go together :P

Dave
I own: '58 IH350U w/backhoe/loader, '70 TD9-B, Various IH horse drawn farm implements

#17 mike_newman

mike_newman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts
  • Interests:30 IHC projects waiting--some completed

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:06 AM

..can't have been all bad...some of them are over fifty years old and still working....I guess, for the great unwashed, them not been made in the United States was a mark against them...the transmission and hydralics were their best features....some diesel motors gave minor head gasket problems...tha addition of "Case " into the equation gave them some styling changes...but little else...

Scan10136__Large_.JPG

...and if you happen to own one of these models..it's value rivals all but the rarest green high clear tractors....

Mike
I like old tractors and old lever rifles and drinking black billy tea, while sitting round a campfire....or most any time at all

you will have to excuse my internet interlect....it is around the IQ of an ice age vegetarian

Reply to this topic