Calling D239 or German Diesel experts

4 replies to this topic

#1 aar

aar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:All things IH, from Cub Cadets to Pullers and most everything in between

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

Pulled the sleeves out of a 574 diesel due to sleeves leaking water in oil and found electrolisis had eaten part of the upper landing of the oring groove. Is this a common problem on these engines? Seems as if these engines are harder to get parts for :angry: TIA
Craig
806d,450g, 45M,53 golden jubilee, building pullers

#2 farmerdon

farmerdon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:tractors IH 666, 1086, 3588, CIH 685 MFD, Case 970, 1070, 1370. MF 2200 forklift

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

Not sure how often it happens but I have heard of it before. Water filters are a cheap investment

#3 Nebraska1206

Nebraska1206

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,846 posts
  • Interests:IH tractors & '60's-'70's Ford cars & trucks.

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:01 PM

Can't say that we ran into that on our 310 when we overhauled it. The orings were getting bad, but the blowby & oil pressure was the main reason it got torn apart.
'66 1206 puller, '67 1206, '67 1256, whats left of another '67 1256 (parts), & 682 Cub Cadet are mine; Dad has a 1066 B.S., 826D, 756D, two 706's w/ D310's, '53 Super M (stage 2), 1640 combine, and a 1650 Cub Cadet. All located in Northeast Nebraska.

"Think Outside The Bun!" - Taco Bell

"Oh, you hate your job, oh my god, why didn't you say so? Ya know, there's a support group for that, it's called Everybody! They meet at the bar!" Drew Carey

TEAM 407: "We don't care about your intake manifold part number!"

Link to my Facebook album of the 1206 puller project

#4 TP from Central PA

TP from Central PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,765 posts
  • Interests:Collecting IH's and brand X tractors...................Looking for more!

Basically if it is Junk, I like it!

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

Can't say I've ever heard alot of noise about that on the Germans around here, and their is alot of them. Got a 756 with a 310 on the farm approaching 9000 hrs and it hasn't been opened up yet :blink: :blink: Darn girl runs good.............Had injectors and the pump redone, but other than that, it just keeps going. I wish the D360's in the two 766's gave as good of service.

Heard about parts issues, mainly on the D358 in the 826's though...........Don't know how true it is though.

TP's notebook, Winter 2014..............Case/IH Parts man- "Once you have a Gleaner you gain the comforting knowledge that you are stuck at the bottom of the food chain in the combine world with no hope of ever going up"............."Every time I climb into a sound-guard cab I feel like the Apollo Astronauts did when they climbed through the hatch".............."Farmers are making way to much money when the rural bank remodels both the front AND rear entrance"...................."Horses eat money and S**T work"- Famous Red power member.

#5 oleman

oleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:58 PM

Can't say I've ever heard alot of noise about that on the Germans around here, and their is alot of them. Got a 756 with a 310 on the farm approaching 9000 hrs and it hasn't been opened up yet :blink: :blink: Darn girl runs good.............Had injectors and the pump redone, but other than that, it just keeps going. I wish the D360's in the two 766's gave as good of service.

Heard about parts issues, mainly on the D358 in the 826's though...........Don't know how true it is though.

I am currently in the middle of a D-179 with indifinite number of hours.
It's tear down was due to low oil pressure and blowby. Thing ran very well the day I tore it down!
Internal sealing was good with no fluid mixing.
Sleeves O-rings were sealing and there was no serious corresion.
Every part I have required was on the shelf someplace.
Everything I have looked for at CaseIH was available in 2 days.
Biggest problem I had was locating a machine shop to align hone the new cam bearings.
AND locating reliable service manual reference.
It is ready to be started as sone as I sort out injection pump timing.

Reply to this topic