TD-15C TRANSMISSION TROUBLE

3 replies to this topic

#1 Sandyrun

Sandyrun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hello to all, I was wondering if I could get some help on troubleshooting the powertrain on a TD-15c. The machine was parked after running all day, and the next morning was cranked up but would not move. I noticed that the clutch pressure gage does not read any pressure. My first thought after checking the oil level was that the charge pump was sucking air, the hoses did look bad so we replaced all suction hoses and seals, but still no pressure. I noticed that there is a hose that tee's into the suction line @ the torque convertor and runs up to the valve body on the transmission. My question, is it possible for something to be wrong inside the valve to cause the pump to not draw prime? The pump looks good and new seals were installed in the torque convertor housing where it mounts. I know for sure it is not pumping because I pulled the hose off the filter base for the filter indicator in the instrument panel and there is no oil being pumped. Thanks.

#2 rocko59

rocko59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • Interests:"most " machinery, especially heavy equipment & trains, BIG trucks, operating, repairing machinery, studying & collecting machinery tech books, literature & pics-lots of pics! Computers, cars(Mopars & FoMoCo's), 4 by 4's & too many other things to list.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:16 AM

Hi Sandyrun Welcome to the board!! That hose that goes from the Tee to the valve sends the excess lube oil back to feed the charge pump, when the charge pump needs no more, the valve opens & dumps the oil into the trans case. If the lube valve gets a piece of debris from somewhere downstream of the pressure filter, it will stick open & the charge pump won't lift the oil from the mainframe, it will suck air out of the trans case. The problem is worse on later machines with the suction screen & pressure filters in the fender compartment to the left of the seat. The pump has to lift the oil about 4 ft to go through the suction screen. The lube valve can be accessed under the seat, it's the only spool in the regulating valve with with a pipe plug at one end, you will need a new gasket for the cover plate. The early B models had a safety filter between the torque convertor & lube valve feed hose on top of the reg valve to catch any nasties the came from the convertor. I would carefully examine the pressure filter paper for evidence of any particles, bearing material or aluminum, may be the torque front turbine bearing giving problems. You can hook a vacuum guage into the top of the suction filter, if there's no vacuum, then it's sucking air, maybe the lube valve if the rest is good. Hope you find something simple. Regards, Russell
From the Okanagan valley in beautiful British Columbia, maybe THE place with the highest concentration of IH crawlers and according to IH, when they were going strong, some of the toughest conditions for logging equipment, they sent a lot of machines to southern BC to R&D!! IH/Dresser Mechanic since 1987, a few before that too, TD25's are great, TD20E's sound awesome!! Worked on TD5's to TD25G's. TD15C number 501, the very first one is still working near here. I have a Hough model 12 track loader S/N PL12-647 and a TD15-151, S/N 4864.

#3 Sandyrun

Sandyrun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for the imformation Rocko, That did fix the problem, however the filters did have more metalic materials in them than I like to see in them :(

#4 rocko59

rocko59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • Interests:"most " machinery, especially heavy equipment & trains, BIG trucks, operating, repairing machinery, studying & collecting machinery tech books, literature & pics-lots of pics! Computers, cars(Mopars & FoMoCo's), 4 by 4's & too many other things to list.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:06 PM

Your welcome, hope the nasties you found aren't too major, get in there if there's anything that looks like ball bearing cage material about 3/8"s wide & 1/16" thick with small rivets in it, that's the front drive housing to turbine bearing & will cause major grief in the torque. Regards, Russell
From the Okanagan valley in beautiful British Columbia, maybe THE place with the highest concentration of IH crawlers and according to IH, when they were going strong, some of the toughest conditions for logging equipment, they sent a lot of machines to southern BC to R&D!! IH/Dresser Mechanic since 1987, a few before that too, TD25's are great, TD20E's sound awesome!! Worked on TD5's to TD25G's. TD15C number 501, the very first one is still working near here. I have a Hough model 12 track loader S/N PL12-647 and a TD15-151, S/N 4864.

Reply to this topic