repowering hough 30b with a 353 gm

12 replies to this topic

#1 oil can

oil can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hi, A new member here from New Brunswick Canada. Just wondering what you guys think about repowering a hough 30b 263 gas with a 353 detroit diesel . Im pretty shure that its the same bellhousing (sae #2 )
Or 3, the flywheel would probably have to be a industrial one for the 353 . I think I would probably have to properly center the fiber gear for the torque converter and double check for the depth from the outer edge of the bellhousing . Im a welder for a living and have multiple machine tools, welders ect so thats o.k .The wix filter book lists the h30b as having this engine ??? I havent seen one .Then there is proper rpm , rotation ,ect .... What rpm would the gas engine turn ? I think i can have a 353 turn up to 2800 rpm .what are you r thoughts on this conversion ? I can get one of these engines . Thanks

#2 captain_crunch

captain_crunch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

Me Thinks you better have a light throttle foot the little GM might be a little too much snort
Don't be Fooled by Duals

#3 td14 addict

td14 addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:old iron, cars trucks and tractors

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

welcome to the board!
i cant help you much with the repower, however, its nice to see some more maritimers joingin up, i live in Truro NS. where abouts in NB are you?
pictures of yuor machine would be nice. my father had a 50's hough (believed to be a HU) that was repowered to an IH truck engine when the 6Cyl Herculese quite.
im sure someone on here has delt with these loaders so im sure help will be along shortly.
thanks
Stefan
"It's not the size its how you use it, 14's over 18's any day"

we have 2 1967 massey 135's, a massey 30B TLB a 1991 Zamboni model 552, a 1993 Zamboni 552, a 1984 Zamboni model 400, a 1977 Zamboni model HDB And NOW a 1941 IH TD14 with BE bullgrader, 1970 Mercedes Benz Unimog 404S

My Photo Bucket Page

I am now a volunteer Firefighter with level one training completed

#4 ozfarm

ozfarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Me Thinks you better have a light throttle foot the little GM might be a little too much snort

bubby screeemer was a option in them

"THE V8 HUNTER
Rural Wrecking
WA Division
Ozfarms Vintage Garden Tractors
and common garden variety genius

109 CubCadet SnowPlough(whisked out of my grasp by a cunning 696IH who exploited my weak point),682 CubCadet 782 CubCadet,,JD 140H3,JD112,JD110,660D,560D NF Fast Hitch,540 ploughTD9,,TD9B,150,Farmall Cub , Farmall C,2btm plough, Farmall 340,FH plough,mower,blade
and other goodies too fascinating to mention
i gotta snowplough now......

#5 rocko59

rocko59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • Interests:"most " machinery, especially heavy equipment & trains, BIG trucks, operating, repairing machinery, studying & collecting machinery tech books, literature & pics-lots of pics! Computers, cars(Mopars & FoMoCo's), 4 by 4's & too many other things to list.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:21 AM

Hi Oilcan Welcome to the board! Good to see another Canuck arrive.
I have a Hough Sales Brochure here for H-30 B & there are IHC G-263 Gas, IHC D-236 Diesel & Detroit 3-53 listed. They all run at a governed speed of 2200 RPM & the date is Mar '66.
Also have a Hough H-30 & H-50 service manual for IHC D-236 & D-282 engines from Dec '62, it says full load governed speed is 2400 +_10 RPM with high idle at 2615 +_40 RPM.
These units had a Borg & Beck torque convertor, yours might have an IH one too. I would be careful with one of these torques behind any Detroit. Also IH powered machines have drive straps or a drive plate, no fiber gear discs, but it could be different with an original Detroit powered unit. I haven't seen any material in our collection for H-30 B with a Detroit engine. Sounds like it should go in with a little engineering. I was always curious what one would be like with a 4BT Cummins. Russell
From the Okanagan valley in beautiful British Columbia, maybe THE place with the highest concentration of IH crawlers and according to IH, when they were going strong, some of the toughest conditions for logging equipment, they sent a lot of machines to southern BC to R&D!! IH/Dresser Mechanic since 1987, a few before that too, TD25's are great, TD20E's sound awesome!! Worked on TD5's to TD25G's. TD15C number 501, the very first one is still working near here. I have a Hough model 12 track loader S/N PL12-647 and a TD15-151, S/N 4864.

#6 mike_newman

mike_newman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts
  • Interests:30 IHC projects waiting--some completed

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

...the Hough 30's were repowered with 330 cubic inch Ford 6 cylinder diesels ..down under.
...chjeap and relatively simple conversion....

Mike
I like old tractors and old lever rifles and drinking black billy tea, while sitting round a campfire....or most any time at all

you will have to excuse my internet interlect....it is around the IQ of an ice age vegetarian

#7 oil can

oil can

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

so you think that the detroit might be too powerful for the torque converter ect ? I was told that this machine shared a lot of components with its big brother the h50 ( trans . planetary ect ) but dont know for shure . somebody mentioned something about a flexplate sort of thing .....do you suppose that this is adaptable to the gm flywheel ??? Im from northern n.b campbellton to be exact . I think i could get the rmp turned down as there is a couple of detroit experts around ( they use these alot around here for skidders) maybee it is too powerful ????

#8 pudding

pudding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:35 AM

...the Hough 30's were repowered with 330 cubic inch Ford 6 cylinder diesels ..down under.
...chjeap and relatively simple conversion....

Mike

yup mike, i have a friend with a 30b.........with a ford 6 pot something in it.........he had the torque converter out of it a wee while back, very dead looking, got another, and she happy again, i think his come from a council in northern southland somewhere

i was also told some of the components were interchangable with the bigger houghs.........but that didn't explain why he had a **** of a time finding a complete trans

ya talk about skidders with detroits in em.......i have a customer with a clark 666E that now has a 8.3 cummins, reckons its a good thing.........
ya never to old for toys

#9 captain_crunch

captain_crunch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

Pudding
I know what you mean I have a 404 Timberjack with a 453 in it and that critter is why I say huh? a lot. Blower self destructed awhile back and EVERYONE with in 5 miles requested that I DON'T fix it
Don't be Fooled by Duals

#10 rocko59

rocko59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • Interests:"most " machinery, especially heavy equipment & trains, BIG trucks, operating, repairing machinery, studying & collecting machinery tech books, literature & pics-lots of pics! Computers, cars(Mopars & FoMoCo's), 4 by 4's & too many other things to list.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:50 PM

OC 3-53's were put into these machines & yes, they do share a lot of components with H-50's. The same trans & torque are used in H-60' & H-70's too. It was called a Hough P-600 trans & yours may have a P-601 which incorporated a "soft shift", this manual was printed & revised in 1962. Also have an H-70F brochure from 5-65, it lists this machine with IH DT-429, Cummins C-160CI or Detroit 4-71 engines. Looks like it has a different torque convertor though as the H-70 has a single phase convertor & the H-30 has a two phase unit.

CC My uncle had a Clark 667 D with a 4-53 turbo & it had a big muffler/spark arrestor on the roof, it sounded more like a huge vacuum cleaner, not noisy at all. I ran a TJ 404 with a 4-53 N with the short muffler & I understand your neighbors concern. Russell
From the Okanagan valley in beautiful British Columbia, maybe THE place with the highest concentration of IH crawlers and according to IH, when they were going strong, some of the toughest conditions for logging equipment, they sent a lot of machines to southern BC to R&D!! IH/Dresser Mechanic since 1987, a few before that too, TD25's are great, TD20E's sound awesome!! Worked on TD5's to TD25G's. TD15C number 501, the very first one is still working near here. I have a Hough model 12 track loader S/N PL12-647 and a TD15-151, S/N 4864.

Reply to this topic