Gas Start diesel general questions

12 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Halsall

Michael Halsall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Interests:Engines from TITANs to TURBO diesels.

McCormick-Deering & McCormick standard tread tractors.

Classic Crawlers

IH Corporate History

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi guys,
reading through the posts here and on the Construction Equipment board I realise that REDPOWER is the only place to go on the Internet to ask about GAS START diesel engines.

I know my way around petrol (gasoline) engines, but not diesels.

I am learning as much as I can about IH diesel engines, especially the rather unique Gas Start diesel engines.

Question time-

If the air temperature was high enough could you start the engine in the"diesel setting" without having to use the "gasoline setting" ?

How did you know when the engine was ready to switch to diesel fuel ? Engine idle speed? Temperature gauge reading?

I have heard that correct shut-down procedure was vital for engine life.
I assume that means "idling down" the engine before turn it off.

Finally when the engine was in the diesel mode did the magneto and spark-plugs keep firing?

Is are there any businesses, anywhere in the world, that specialize in repairing this type of engine?

Regards from Michael Halsall Australia

#2 hardtail

hardtail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Interests:IH crawlers and harleys and anything that gives a rough ride!<br />If it's loud and crude I'll probably like it.

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

Question time-

If the air temperature was high enough could you start the engine in the"diesel setting" without having to use the "gasoline setting" ?

-Yes and some have, starter technology wasn't the best yet and if made a regular practice of it could cost you some grief. The extra compression was hard on starters.

How did you know when the engine was ready to switch to diesel fuel ? Engine idle speed? Temperature gauge reading?

-Don't know what the textbook answer would be but I usually go by sound or sense, I switch over way before a temp guage would ever move, I guess idle speed would be closer or smoothness.

-I believe that to possibly be the most single significant factor, proper cooldown period after some work is essential, some switch back to gas others just kill it on diesel, reasons for both.

Finally when the engine was in the diesel mode did the magneto and spark-plugs keep firing?

-No the air switch in the gas manifold is part of the mag wiring circuit so it only functions during the gas cycle position. No air-no spark.

Is are there any businesses, anywhere in the world, that specialize in repairing this type of engine?

-There are still a few but I doubt it would be anyones main bread and butter.

http://www.jobbersinc.com/ih.htm

Singles are cool, dual stackers rule, to deny this, you must be a fool.
Opportunity only knocks once, tempation leans on the doorbell

#3 rancherman84

rancherman84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:atv's,outdoors,RED tractors

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:26 PM

Hi guys,
reading through the posts here and on the Construction Equipment board I realise that REDPOWER is the only place to go on the Internet to ask about GAS START diesel engines.

I know my way around petrol (gasoline) engines, but not diesels.

I am learning as much as I can about IH diesel engines, especially the rather unique Gas Start diesel engines.

Question time-

yes you could start them on diesel after there warm.
i think the best way to shut them off was in the diesel mode,as this meant the gas valves where against there seats and could not warp from the heat.
there is a rotary switch in the intake manifold that controls the spark.when you move the lever to engage the diesel operation the switch rotates and shuts the spark off.

2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA,08 CURTIS SNO-PRO 3000 PHASE 2
CERTIFIED CASEIH TECH.
CERTIFIED CLAAS JAGUAR MASTER TECH.
farms tractors,super C,M,240,2)806's,885,966 w turbo,1466,2)3588's,1660,2388,9230 and 64 cat D8

#4 Rawleigh99

Rawleigh99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

I always heard you switched them back to gas to cool them down and then switched back to diesel to close the valves after it was shut down. I guess I'm going to find out since I just acquired one!! :blink:
Rawleigh

1973 IH 500C a.k.a."Calico Cat"
1955 Cat D2 5U bulldozer with Hyster D2N winch
1945 Cat D2 3J crawler tractor
1979 Pettibone "Super 6" Forklift a.k.a. "Too Tall"
1973 Ford F600 Dump Truck
1980 Ford F350 Flatbed a.k.a. "Beastie"
1960 Allis Chalmers Model 72 All Crop combine
1966 Case 931 Comfort King Tractor

Sold:

1988 Mack R688ST Road Tractor
1955 IH TD 9 with Drott Loader

#5 M Diesel

M Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

R99, once you start flippin the lever on a regular basis, it hits you that just flipping it back to diesel with the throttle down is the smooth way to go. No mistakes that way. Killing it on gas means you have to remember to switch after the motor has stopped, and for some reason my brain wants to skip that step. Danged stupid brain...
Gary M
1951 M -- 1951 MD
1953 Super C -- 1957 Farmall 450
1953 TD9 "Ichabod JR" aka "Icky"
1949 TD18 "Brutus" -- 1956 TD18-182 "Yard Dog"
1964 Loadstar 1600 -- 1975 Loadstar 1700 dump truck
1949 Massey 44

#6 josc

josc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:34 AM

No personal experience on this but have talked with neighbor who farmed with Super MD for years. Most interesting thing to me is Extra valve. Said spark plug was in small chamber in head, much like diesel pre chamber, with a valve that closed to separate from the cylinder when on diesel. These were built when Cat had starting engines and air motor starters were used on many larger gas and diesel engines because electric starters and batteries were not powerful enough.
He does not remember for sure but thinks the Magneto always turned but spark was off when on Diesel. Same for shutting off; pretty sure could shut off diesel to kill or switch to gas start position. My guess is that moving to gas with engine just off load would get pre-ignition. Letting cool down and changing to gas would shut off with gas in manifold and cylinders so more ready to start if going to be shut off only a few minutes.

Anyone know some of this for sure please let us know.
TD-9/Drott 150 some parts.

#7 M Diesel

M Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:30 PM

The statements are all basically correct except for one mention. There is no shut off switch in gas. It either runs the carb bowl dry or you flip to diesel with the throttle down (off). The early books said to turn off the gas and let it run out but I don't really care for this. It isn't necessary. Technically you can't switch to gas with throttle open, but the mechanical linkage that blocks this isn't very good.

Note: They will sometimes run rough during change to diesel due to high compression with some residual gas present. They will often not like to switch to gas because the carb float needle is shut off while in diesel and the carb has evaporated dry over time. It takes several seconds for the bowl to fill again when switched back to gas mode.
Gary M
1951 M -- 1951 MD
1953 Super C -- 1957 Farmall 450
1953 TD9 "Ichabod JR" aka "Icky"
1949 TD18 "Brutus" -- 1956 TD18-182 "Yard Dog"
1964 Loadstar 1600 -- 1975 Loadstar 1700 dump truck
1949 Massey 44

#8 redneckchevy9

redneckchevy9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:My Lovely Girls, IH Tractors, Antique Tractors, Chevy Trucks, Farming, Anything IH, Draftsman & Boom Truck Driver For Area Lumberyard

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

What is the purpose of a gas start Diesle engine?

Does it have anything to do with cold starts?

#9 Phil_w

Phil_w

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

I read somewhere the main reason is it allows you to hand crank it to start.

Phil

#10 dieselpwr

dieselpwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

I read somewhere the main reason is it allows you to hand crank it to start.

Phil

That along with it was IH answer to the pony motor and air start. The pony was a little gas engine that would spin fast and crank over the larger engine to start it. Later the 6 volt and early starters could crank them over while they could not start the high compression of a diesel like they do now.
Anything completely planned out is no fun at all.

TD9, '97 Dodge diesel, IH1256

Reply to this topic