Photo

Old IH Pullers

10 replies to this topic

#1 1randyb

1randyb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Tractor pulling, been IH mechanic 41 yrs.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

Saw the pics from Louisville 1971 on YT today, sure brought back some memories. Anyone remember those red pullers of that era? Marshall Meyer, Myron Riddle, John Thompson, John Klug, Dick Overmeyer, Dale Kohl (Cole). Sad to realize most of these inovators have probably past on now. What a great era that was!

#2 Redpower1456

Redpower1456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts
  • Interests:IH, Farming, Aviation enthusiast, Astronomy, NFL, Country Music, Shania Twain

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, chances are some of them have passed on.

Dale Kohl, for instance, passd away at age 74 on November 9, 2002.

Rick G.

Tractors owned: 1970 IH 1456, Serial # 11314, 1976 IH 1466 Black Stripe, Serial # 30313

#3 Jason-WesternOH

Jason-WesternOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Interests:Varmit hunting, Farming, Tractor Pulling

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

I think John Klugs mechanic lurks on these boards now and then, but I cant remember his name.

Wish i woulda been alive to see it back then.
If it was FUN, they wouldn't call it WORK!

Proud owner of a IH 5088, IH 350 Diesel Utility, Farmall M and a JD 4020
Not so proud owner of an absolute JUNK Case IH 7140

#4 1206SWMO

1206SWMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

Saw the pics from Louisville 1971 on YT today, sure brought back some memories. Anyone remember those red pullers of that era? Marshall Meyer, Myron Riddle, John Thompson, John Klug, Dick Overmeyer, Dale Kohl (Cole). Sad to realize most of these inovators have probably past on now. What a great era that was!

Randy,I had those pictures on here too.Sadly,most of those pullers you mentioned are dead.The 1970's were some great times in pulling.

I would kill for a picture of Myron Riddles old 1206 puller that won the 1969 M&W Pull at LaPlata,MO.

#5 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,162 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

Wish I could remember Marshall Meyer's mechanics name. That guy could really turn a wrench. Marshall has been gone for some time now, always wondered what happened to his tractor.

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

#6 donald460

donald460

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:1958 460 Utility, 1282 Cub ,1250 Cub ,15hp Evenrude ,50hp Johnson, Cabin on the river [Iowa River]

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:24 PM

I worked for/with John Klug though most of the 70's. Met most of the gentlemen you mentioned. That was GREAT time. I have lot of fond memories of these times. There was a lot of very late nights. I can
remember getting the "Baron" back together just in time to load on the trailer and get to the Pull, praying I had not forgotten anything. John seemed to have a sixed sense when it come to pulling. There's another fellow lurking around that had a hand in John's success and several others, know him personally but don't know his user name. He's probably forgotten more than most mechanics know. We all worked together and had a GOOD TIME. :D :D :P
Owner of; 460 Utility w/loader and fast hitch blade (used to help maintain lane to river cabin) 1250 cubcadet (Disassembled awaiting restoration) 1282 cubcadet (Used to mow yard at cabin) MF 7,MF8 Lawn tractor

#7 Steve C.

Steve C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, '06 - '86 series Internationals, Datsun Z's, late 60's / early '70's rock, tractor pulls (preferably 6 cyl. smokers), fishing, power tools, history.

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:27 PM

I worked for/with John Klug though most of the 70's. Met most of the gentlemen you mentioned. That was GREAT time. I have lot of fond memories of these times. There was a lot of very late nights. I can
remember getting the "Baron" back together just in time to load on the trailer and get to the Pull, praying I had not forgotten anything. John seemed to have a sixed sense when it come to pulling. There's another fellow lurking around that had a hand in John's success and several others, know him personally but don't know his user name. He's probably forgotten more than mechanics know. We all worked together and had a GOOD TIME. :D :D :P

Was the "Baron" an 806, by any chance?

#8 donald460

donald460

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:1958 460 Utility, 1282 Cub ,1250 Cub ,15hp Evenrude ,50hp Johnson, Cabin on the river [Iowa River]

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:58 AM

remember getting the "Baron" back together just in time to load on the trailer and get to the Pull, praying I had not forgotten anything. John seemed to have a sixed sense when it come to pulling. There's another fellow lurking around that had a hand in John's success and several others, know him personally but don't know his user name. He's probably forgotten more than mechanics know. We all worked together and had a GOOD TIME. :D :D :P

Was the "Baron" an 806, by any chance?

I believe the early tractor was an 806, But the Red Baron of the70's was a 1066. When we first got together I worked for a dealership and John brought the 1066 he farmed with so we could change engines then pull during the summer. We would change back for the next farming season. In about 73 we built a 1066 from the ground up. Thats when we got invoved with Jerry @ Hypermax.
Owner of; 460 Utility w/loader and fast hitch blade (used to help maintain lane to river cabin) 1250 cubcadet (Disassembled awaiting restoration) 1282 cubcadet (Used to mow yard at cabin) MF 7,MF8 Lawn tractor

#9 Mr. Roper

Mr. Roper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

He is not talking about the same "Baron" you are thinking of I am guessing.

#10 BLUEPOWER

BLUEPOWER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:06-88 series IH tractors, Tractor pulling, Tractor restoration.

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

I know alot of you guys have posted the old pulling photos on here before but I would love to see some more. Starting to get the pulling season itch allready and its along time till spring yet.

Reply to this topic