Photo

Whatever happened to these pullers from yesteryear?

159 replies to this topic

#21 1206SWMO

1206SWMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

What about Dave Stangle, driver of the " Solid Junk " Minneapolis-Moline G-1000 ?

Here's a pic of "Solid Junk" sorry, not the best quality. I'm thinking he had an earlier tractor, U or UB that was called "Pure Junk" Blaine, help me out here, CRS has hit big time. Was built completely from parts from a salavage yard. Looked like crap with hoses hanging everywhere & people that didn't know the tractor would laugh when they first saw it. He would sit on the line warming the tractor up & it would spit & cough & sound terrible & usually he would stop before the 50' mark & people would holler for him to get off the track. They would pull it back & on his 2nd run the old girl would take off & fly down the track & everybody would be hollering & scream. Dave always put on a good show.

For you Mnnie Mo lover's here's a pic of the Allison Teams UB w/V-12 Allison engine. I remember the 1st time I saw this tractor pull was at the Ind. State Fair, probably late '60s. I was looking at it in the pits when a guy asked the driver what it took to drive it, the reply was " drink a 6 pack of beer first"

Allison Team also later ran a G-1000 with the V-12 Allison

Andy Main, drove a 1370. E.J. Potter had his "ugly" tractors with the Allison engines. Ralph Chamberlin's tractor was "The Honker". Loyd McVey had the Super Banana. The Lucas-Voland team had an Allis WD45 and an Oliver 66 if I remember correctly, that WD45 was a stout competor in the 5000 lb class.

Super Stockers had trycycle front ends!!

Those were the days!!

My wife's cousin was married to McVey's son. Loyd first ran the "lil Banana" then added the "Super Banana" I can remember being at one of the last "Indy Super Pull's and he had a major break every session but always got the tractors back & running for the next session. The Sun session we were sitting 3 rows off the track about 3/4 the way down the track. Loyd was running the "Super Banana" when suddenly it gave a lurch & broke cleanly in 1/2 rightjust in front of the driver right in front of us. McVey ( his feet were almost touching the ground) calmy reached forward & shut the tractor down as if nothing had happened.

Loyd ran a trucking company (gravel trucks) here in the area and went bankrupt, always heard it was from pulling. He's been dead several years now.

Couple other pullers from this area were The Gerdes Bros, Larry & Jerry, from Sidell, IL and Don Harness from Dana, IN. All three were large farmers at the time & ended up filling bankruptcy. Don't know what happened to Larry Gerdes or Harness but the last time I talked to Jerry Gerdes he was driving OTR.

There use to be a rumor that the Gerdes were stopped on Interstate 74 for speeding on their pulling tractor, supposedly were clocked at 120 mph. I asked Jerry about that & he said it wasn't true & added "the tractor wouldn't run that fast" :lol: :lol:

Sorry don't have any pics of their tractors either. Blaine if you happen to have some, I'd appreciate you posting them.

I was at the 1st "Indy Super Pull" and Carl Bosse was the 1st ractor up on his 4 engine W-9. Being the 1st tractor up in the Sun evening Unlimited class he was the test puller. First two trips down the class he took it out the doors like nothing was behind him. Pulled him back the 3rd time & he was just about 50' of the FP line head out the doors again when his hitch broke & he shot thru the doorway like a rocket. He easily was on his way to another full pull.

I also remember that night because they kept breaking the smoke machine in the 12,00# SS class. They finally decided to run the class with out the smoke machine. By the time the class was 1/2 way over you could barely see the tractors on the ttrack. Pull started at 4pm & didn't get over with till 2 am

Boog,those are pictures that I took back in 1969 and 1971 and put on here some years ago.I'm glad that you have them because I lost them in a hard drive crash.Our scanner isnt working right now so I cant rescan the old original pictures.

The top picture is Ron Perry from Bringhurst,IN pulling the G-1000 MM at the NTPA Western Nationals at Bethany,MO in 1971.He built the tractor and later partnered with Dave Stangle on it.Ron pulled it by himself for several years.I think Dave named it Solid Junk.

Back in around 1969-72 Dave Stangle was pulling a U-UB MM with a big Hall-Scott engine in the 15,000 Open class.I saw him at an indoor pull in St Louis,MO.

The next picture was taken at Pleasant Hill,ILL in 1969.Its the Allison Teams UB MM with the V-12 Allison.It created quite a stir in the pits.

The bottom picture is the Allisons Team G-1000 MM at the 1969 M&W Gear Co Pull at LaPlata,MO pulling the 15,000 Open class.They got 1st and 3rd there on a 500' track.

I put these pictures on several pulling forums 5-6 years ago and was told that the Allison Team never had a G-1000 MM,that all they had ever used was two UB MM's.I knew that they used the G-1000 MM in 1969 only,so started digging back thru old NTPA Pullers,found a story on them, and was able to win my argument.

The Allison Team was from the Waterman-Shabonna,ILL area and there was 8 members.I just dug out and old picture and the 8 members were Bill Wade,Bob Bend,Dave Bend,Steve Bend,Dave Larson,Harold Boston,Larry Buland,and Rich Larson.Bob Bend and Bill Wade did the driving.Those were some great times in tractor pulling which will never be seen again.

I'm thinking that Bill Newlon bought the G-1000 chassis from them in the early 70's and put an Allison in it as it was already set up for one.Before that Bill pulled a G-1000 MM with a turboed 800 irrigation engine on LP.MM helped out 5-6 pullers back in those days.

I have no pictures of the Gerdes brothers but did see them pull a time or two.

#22 1206SWMO

1206SWMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

Robbie...........I, too, used to subscribe to the "Puller" magazine back in the early 70's and there's a couple more names I remember that you haven't mentioned. Maybe Blaine can help me out here too;

Andy Main - he used a Case 70 series

Danny Bobb - AC 190

Dick Obermeyer - can't remember what he pulled with, but his wife Nancy wrote a monthly column in the "Puller"

Bob Hawk & Al Isch - Oliver 88

Ralph Chamberlin - Oliver with an Allison V-12

Carl Bosse - 4 engine IH W or WD9

Don Kolb - IH 856

Banter Bros - they had a couple different ones

Also remember the JD 6030 but CRS keeps me from remembering who drove it back then

I have a stash of old "Puller" mags laying around somewhere and again CRS factors in where are they at?

How about it Blaine, can you help me out here?

Hoot,I about forgot to reply to you.

I saw AL Esch pull his 88 Oliver at the 1969 M&W pull.He was also there with an 1850 Oliver in the 12,000 lb class.It popped a head gasket.Bob Hawk later pulled a U MM and then a 5 Star MM called The Chicken Hawk.He was involved in a D-21 AC on alky too.

Andy Main pulled a 1370 Case and one year burned 8 sets of pistons.Too make weight he had 1 front wheel.He later was an NTPA track official.

Danny Bobb pulled a great running 190 XT in the 7-9000 class and his brother Marvin pulled a D-21.Today Marvin and another brother pull D-21's at brush pulls.

Dick Obermyer pulled a 1070 Case.

I only saw Ralph Chamberlain and Carl Bosse pull once.

Kolbs from the Evansville,Ind area pulled a black or purple 1456 IH.It ended up 30 miles north of me and may still be there.

Banters pulled so many modified tractors that its unreal.My favorites were Big Ben Orange and Big Ben Blue.At one time each had 7 blown Chevs on board.Got to see them at Macon,MO alot.

The 6030 JD was probably John Bockwitz from San Jose,IL.A 320 acre farm supported this tractor.

Theres many-many more old pullers that havent been mentioned.

#23 ccarlisle

ccarlisle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

John Bockwitz brings back good ole memories... I remember that he had a sliding seat on the 6030. He would start with the seat in the upmost position and when it got "hooked up" he would slide the seat back so he could have the most weight on the rear end. As I remember he was a very small (not real heavy) man. Don't know if it did a lot of good but he was fun to watch! The one regret was never remembering to take a camera to the pulls.

links to old pictures on the Mid-South site...
Archive Page 5
Archive Page 6
Archive Page 7 - modifieds
Archives Page 8 - modifieds

Some old pictures (from the links above) on the Mid-South site...

Gary Quick
Posted Image

Dickie Sullivan
Posted Image

Mike Kolb
Posted Image

#24 ole three bottom

ole three bottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

Ok, In the modified's Remember Wayne Patchett from Frankfort, In. with Black Beauty. That tractor I think had a Massy 55 rear end and a chevy engine and trans. If it wasn't painted gloss black it was crome. Then ther was Loud Mouth Lime, Who was the owner of that tractor. Also who owned the Makin Bacon Special?

This is fun!!!
Little Wonder, I'm no Little Genius. But I get closer to being a #60 with each passing year.

Grandpa's Surer H, 1944 H, My ole 1066, 710 6-16 Automatic, Little Genius plows, 1 and 2 bottom ,2 bottom Little Wonder,2-#27V mowers, a #25 mower, #7 mower, 240 HM, 2 row cultivators, High wheel McCormick grain drill, S-3 Cream Separator. Collecting ole Red Iron can be expensive, But It sure is fun.

#25 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,596 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

Ok, In the modified's Remember Wayne Patchett from Frankfort, In. with Black Beauty. That tractor I think had a Massy 55 rear end and a chevy engine and trans. If it wasn't painted gloss black it was crome. Then ther was Loud Mouth Lime, Who was the owner of that tractor. Also who owned the Makin Bacon Special?

This is fun!!!

OTB, I remember all those tractors. Black beauty was a sharp looking tractor I'm thinking Loud Mouth Lime was Don Harness's tractor, I seem to recall his tractor was lime green as was his driver's suit. As for Makin bacon Special, Tim Engler rings a bell on that one but I could very well be wrong on both accounts. Sure wouldn't be the first time.

Blaine, I meant to give you credit for the pics of Stangler's & the Allison Team's tractor as I downloaded them after you had posted them here. Stanglers u / UB is the one I think was called "Pure Junk". I saw him pull it several times at the Indy Super Pull and he was always a favorite. I believe the first ISP was in '71.

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '52 SM, '53 stage 1 SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - ''13 Maxxum 115, 11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 4412 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 12/23 12oo planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

#26 ole three bottom

ole three bottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:14 PM

boog,

I think your 100% correct on, Loud Mouth Lime was Don Harness's tractor. and Makin Bacon going to Tim Engler sounds correct.

Just how long do you think we can keep this topic going?
Little Wonder, I'm no Little Genius. But I get closer to being a #60 with each passing year.

Grandpa's Surer H, 1944 H, My ole 1066, 710 6-16 Automatic, Little Genius plows, 1 and 2 bottom ,2 bottom Little Wonder,2-#27V mowers, a #25 mower, #7 mower, 240 HM, 2 row cultivators, High wheel McCormick grain drill, S-3 Cream Separator. Collecting ole Red Iron can be expensive, But It sure is fun.

#27 06MAN

06MAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

Sorry guys Englers tractor was "Mission Impossible" and Bruce Hutcherson from Patriot, IN was owner of
"Makin Bacon Special". He also had a two wheel drive truck and Carhartt sponsored both of them at one time.

#28 06MAN

06MAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

A couple of more pullers mentioned- Ed Carmichael of Sullivan IN in the Ring Around Seeds special 1066 is still alive and farming. Recently got married somewhere in his 60s. Remember a guy named John Lancaster who had a D-21. Leland Gladish from Petersburg IN passed away a few yrs ago however his tractor a 966 with blower is still going- Barry Cooper from Petersburg has it now. Also remember the Judge and the Jury tractors by Ron Barga both allison tractors i believe. Two other modified puller from IN Fred Freeman from Wadesville and Larry Richwine from Brownsburg.

#29 ole three bottom

ole three bottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

Sorry guys Englers tractor was "Mission Impossible" and Bruce Hutcherson from Patriot, IN was owner of
"Makin Bacon Special". He also had a two wheel drive truck and Carhartt sponsored both of them at one time.

Ok, Now we have that one answered, thanks 06MAN.

boog, remember when Stangle puled the sled right off the side of the track in the 12000 SS on Saturday night of the first Indy Super Pull?

#30 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,596 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:53 PM

Ok, Now we have that one answered, thanks 06MAN.

boog, remember when Stangle puled the sled right off the side of the track in the 12000 SS on Saturday night of the first Indy Super Pull?

I only made the Sun Eve pull that first year. I had only heard about the pull a couple days before & Sun was the only tickets we could get. Sat up in the nose bleed seat.

I recall in about '78 coming out of the pulls on a Sun night & it was -25 :( . Got home & our furnace was off. Seems a little 2 yr old boy (won't mention any names but the same boy who a year later painted the rear window & roof of my new p.u. red ;) ) had shut the furnace off when we had left home. Not good news when you have hot water heat. Had 16 breaks in the heat lines :(

06man, while I was out watering momma boog's flowers I kept thinking that Engler didn't sound right with the "MBS". I'd forgotten all about the "Mission Impossible" tractor.

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '52 SM, '53 stage 1 SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - ''13 Maxxum 115, 11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 4412 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 12/23 12oo planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

Reply to this topic