Please help on L306 Woods Belly Mower for Farmall B Tractor

7 replies to this topic

#1 wildbill

wildbill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Farmall Tractors, 1948 cub owner,1948 Farmall Super A 1947 Farmall B

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hi, can someone please help me on a Woods L306 belly mower that I am trying to mount on a Farmall B tractor. I got it all hooked up with all the original brackets that are for the B tractor using the side pto and it is turning on a counter clock wise rotation on me is there any simple way to change the rotation on this. I have a small woods booklet that shows the woods L306 belly mower mounted on it. Please Please any help would be very appreciated. Thanks Bill
1948 cub owner,1948 Farmall Super A, 1947 Farmall B 23 1/2 Years with PPG Paints in Batavia,IL

#2 Keith in MN

Keith in MN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:51 PM

You may need a twist in the belt. Check the manual if you have one.

#3 Ron K

Ron K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

Did the mower come off a B farmall? The Woods mower made for the B Farmall turns the opposite direction that some of the other Woods mowers.
If it came off a B Farmall you could have the belt on wrong where it goes between the spindles.
I have the owners manual for the Woods mower but the page with the belt installation will not scan good.

Attached Thumbnails

• woods.JPG
  • woods_1.JPG

#4 Ron K

Ron K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hope this works

next page

If you can not see the pages I can E-Mail them to you

Attached Thumbnails

• woods_4.JPG
  • woods_5.JPG

#5 ken ryan

ken ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Interests:I like to restore farm machinery, especially when it is red. I'm a retired mechanical engineer living on a small farm. Fresh out of college I worked for IH at the the research center in Hinsdale, Illinois.

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:52 AM

I'm running the L 306 on a Farmall A. I'll check rotation when I get home today. Maybe they are supposed to turn counterclockwise. Is the sharp edge of the blade leading? I have all the belt diagrams too. I could mail those to you. E-mail would loose too much detail.

Ken Ryan Oxford NY

#6 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts
  • Interests:I sell new Case/IH Tractors and Equipment ....one part at a time and now only part-time!

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:56 AM

Can't help on info for the B but remember similar problem with Cub's. Guys would break the belt and come in for expensive new one. Sometimes they would leave and then come back and say "I found a much cheaper belt that fits fine but now mower not cutting for crap!" We would tell them to get longer belt so they could put a twist in it or sharpen the dull side of the blade because it was running backwards.

So this could be your problem? Good luck!

Bill
I sell Case/IH, IH, and Farmall Tractors and Equipment...one part at a time, and now only work part-time.
I live in Springfield, OH near the International truck plant.
I work part-time in Urbana, OH in the parts dept at Farmers Equipment Inc., the Case/IH Dealer.
Farmers Equipment now with four Ohio locations: Urbana, OH 937-652-2233; New Hampshire, OH 419-568-7750; Elida, OH 419-339-7000; and a Parts Only store in London, OH 740-490-7416.

#7 mtanut

mtanut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

The cub ran the pto opposite to every other tractor. If the mower was set for a cub then it would be backward to your b.
smta, allis 185, allis b (wifes tractor), ferguson 35, a ferguson 20 (paps first tractor) and 1 jd garden tractor
IH rake
240 series 2 John Deere skid loader
A2 Gleaner, bunch of the usual, plows, disk, cultimulcher, wagons, etc etc
Bought the farm, trying to rebuild the buildings, land, and equipment
Carpenter by trade.

I thought I had a bunch of junk and one day I realized it was all old enough to be a collection, go figure

#8 Phil R

Phil R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

Woods L series mowers rotate backwards. They should throw the grass to the left. (also the bolts holding the blades on are left handed threads.)

Reply to this topic