10 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.656

Dr.656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

We're having a problem with our 5240 powershift transmission. While running it will kick itself into neutral and not move until you push the clutch to reset the computer. It seems to happen after it has been run for a period of time, but other than that i can find no rhyme or reason to it doing this. So im wondering if its maybe a faulty sensor of some type. I held the clutch pedal and the 'Check Trans' light flashes 6 times. I looked in the book but the diagnosis didnt mean anything to me. I havnt been around these tractors very long as we have just had this one a little over a year. Im at college now but plan to look at it again when i get home and get ahold our case-ih dealer. I was wondering if anyone could point me to what is causing the problem. Thanks for your help
Crop farming in Western PA with a C, Super C, H, Super M, 656D, 686, 5240.

#2 bauerj

bauerj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

I had the same problem a few years ago with my 5140. While planting the tractor would just stop, I would depress/release the clutch and off I went again. Made for a long day. I changed the 4 sensors that are underneath the right door. They sense the pressure in the clutch packs. You spend a day trying to figure out which one is going bad, or just put all in new and be done with it.

#3 MN Scott

MN Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

Does it do it in only one gear or does it do it in three gears? If it kicks out in three gears but one gear works, the gear that works has a bad pressure sensor. Sounds just what my 5230 does with a bad sensor. I've replaced three of the four so I'am waiting for the last to go. At $100 ea you don't want to replace them unless you have to. It would also make sense that they would bother after setting awile as the switch might stick internally. These sensors are knowen for going bad and are simple to change. My service manual is down in the shop so I don't know what the six flash code is for.

#4 Dr.656

Dr.656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

I failed to mention that it does this in all 4 postions of the powershift selector. Thats another thing that had me confused. One other thing, it almost seems heat related. We were pulling the 5-bottoms during the day on saturday and after a while it would start acting up. After the tractor had sat a while, i went back out around 10 at night and plowed for about an hour and a half and it worked fine. We had a little trouble with this last summer baleing straw but it seemed to go away. Now i wish i would have pursued it this winter. Thanks for all your responses.
Crop farming in Western PA with a C, Super C, H, Super M, 656D, 686, 5240.

#5 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:47 AM

6 flashes is no or multiple pressures sensed by the controller.

You might check the ground connections for the wiring harness.

Jim N.

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#6 roscoe

roscoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Preasure switch reliability is #1 problem with 5100-5200 maxxum tractors. They changed the switches at least 3 times. I would replace all 4 preasure switches and be done with it. Just my opinion.

#7 rick22

rick22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:37 AM

my 5240 is doing something similar. It kicks out of 3rd all the time after running for some time. it seems to happen more if you labour the tractor or he bumps. does not matter if it is in 2-3 or 3-3. not sure about what code. to get the code does the tractor have to be running. when the tractor is off, turn key on, press clutch and check trans blinks 5 times. Does anybody no the part number for the sensors. Kinda sucks not have third as this is my most used gear!

thanks
Rick

#8 Jeff H

Jeff H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:1929 10-20<br />1941 m deisel<br />1945 m<br />1956 leroi tractair<br /><br />

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

We had a 5240 doing the same thing in all 4 powershifts. Changed all 4 sensors and it still done it. Took it CIH and they found a bad ground under the cab.

Good luck

#9 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

my 5240 is doing something similar. It kicks out of 3rd all the time after running for some time. it seems to happen more if you labour the tractor or he bumps. does not matter if it is in 2-3 or 3-3. not sure about what code. to get the code does the tractor have to be running. when the tractor is off, turn key on, press clutch and check trans blinks 5 times. Does anybody no the part number for the sensors. Kinda sucks not have third as this is my most used gear!

thanks
Rick

5 flashes is the switch coming on is failed. ie... If the failure happens during a 2-3 shift or a 4-3 shift the 3rd speed switch is failed.

Since it only happens in 3rd I would surmise that the # 3 switch is failed.

Switch p/n 410438A2 You will also need adapter p/n 217-1032

The switches are arranged, top to bottom, 3-1-2-4

Jim N.

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#10 rick22

rick22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

[/quote]

5 flashes is the switch coming on is failed. ie... If the failure happens during a 2-3 shift or a 4-3 shift the 3rd speed switch is failed.

Since it only happens in 3rd I would surmise that the # 3 switch is failed.

Switch p/n 410438A2 You will also need adapter p/n 217-1032

The switches are arranged, top to bottom, 3-1-2-4

Jim N.
[/quote]

Thank you.....transmision ran fine today with no problems. yesterday is was a little low on trans/hyd fluild. i added three litres. also i call case ih, talked to one of there mechanics. he said these sensors and also the solinoids are a common problem. he said the easiest way to check, is to swap with a sensor or solinoid from another position and see if the problem moves. i will try this next time it acts up. the part number i have from the online manual is #144467A2 for the switch $112 canadian. the solinoin part number is # 118872A1 and $106. I talked to the parts department guy, he has the parts in stock. he did not say anything about an adaptor. the part number you have, did you get it from a parts manual? i will call them tomorow to ask.

Thanks again

Rick

Reply to this topic