Hesston round baler question.

2 replies to this topic

#1 andy_mn

andy_mn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first post. This is a terrific site for IH info and many other types of equipment. Does anyone have an opinion on Hesston round balers? There is a very clean 5540 for sale in my area. I have 20 acres of grass to bale and I would like to have the ability to make round bales myself rather than always trying to schedule someone else's time. The only thing I have heard about round balers is the bar type New Hollands can be expensive if needing repair and the older 410/510 JD balers do not perform well because of the throat design. Thanks for any info.

#2 HappyHank

HappyHank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:56 PM

If its not been mistreated in the past and is in good shape, a 5540 should handle 20 acres of hay, no problem. We run a 5580 Hesston, which is the full size version. Check the twin tie arms for any damage and the linkage to those arms, make sure they have'nt been bent in the past. Also, I'd want good belts on it. Speaking of belts, we alwys put new wires in the splices every year and check and replace any splices that may be pulling out a little. Just a precaution.

#3 Russ_SCPA

Russ_SCPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

I had a 5545 Hesston baler for a number of years. It could be a real "piece of work" to get bales started in large windrows. Overall, fairly trouble free machine, but then keep in mind a 5540 is not new and may have been abused in past. Look at it carefully, esp the drive inside the slip clutch housing. There is a "squareish" section on the end of the drive shaft that fits into a recess inside the slip clutch. If that end is rounded, it can be "interestingly expensive", also check the drive chains and sprockets for wear. I had to replace the chains and sprockets on mine at around 15,000 rolls.
If you do buy a roll baler, bar and chain oil as sold for chain saws is my choice for drive chain lubrication, use lots and apply often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this topic