IH Bearing Part Number Interchange

11 replies to this topic

#1 snoman

snoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

I've had trouble cross referencing old IH bearing part numbers before and am wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to do this. The bearing part numbers I have are for the final drive on a TD9. Some of the bearings are in very tough shape making it difficult to measure them or see how they used to be sealed. Is there a way to cross these numbers over to Timkin or NSK or some other modern number system?

The bearings I'm looking for are:
  • ST 276
  • ST 228
  • ST 315
  • ST 223
Thanks for any help in advance.

Eric.

#2 Tractractor

Tractractor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Grandkids, Working on my projects.

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

ST223=Fafnir 214W
ST228=Fafnir 215W
ST276=Fafnir 216KD
ST315=MRC 217M2
Its easy when you have the IH Ball & Roller Bearing Manual. I have #15-BL.
It also converts IH part numbers to ST numbers.
Your local bearing store can convert these numbers to other manufactures numbers or check for them on ebay. I have gotten almost all my bearings off ebay. Alot cheaper than bearing stores. JERE
1932 T20, 1937 T20, 1939 TD35, 1948 KB8F, 1949 KB2, 1946 U9pu, 5 Cub Cadets.

#3 Dave_McCallister

Dave_McCallister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

Snoman,

Be careful with a direct interchange. All of the final drive bearings are "Maxi fill" bearings. they will cost you a little more than the direct interchange as they have an extra ball in each one. But they carry more load.

Dave
I Own: 1958 IH 350U w/ backhoe/loader, 196? TD9-B,
Various IH Horse Drawn farm equipment

#4 mmi

mmi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

Dave
how do we know if maxi fill is required for any application
and therefore how/when to source the correct one when they tell you it is direct change?
thanks

#5 Dave_McCallister

Dave_McCallister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:59 AM

MMI,

The easiest way is to look at the old bearing. A maxifill has two notches in the races where they put the extra ball in . You can also just look at the bearing and see that there is no more room for any more balls. I'm not sure how you would tell from the IH part numbers. I know for a fact all the final drive bearings in a 9B (and probably 150 loader) are maxi fills, and I would guess it is to handle the extreme pressure of the final drive gearing. PSI is less on each ball, and it spreads the load over a larger area of race.
If your supplier says it's a direct replacement, and you can see that the old one is a maxi fill, be sure and ask the supplier if the replacement is maxifill. MRC denotes it with a suffix "M" after the number. Not sure of the rest, but they have a designation (usually suffix) that denotes it. Also be ready to pay about 15-30% more. :(

Dave

#6 Nelson

Nelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

Dave, that is real good info. I am going to file it in my TD9 folder. Thank you Sir.

Nelson

#7 snoman

snoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

Snoman,

Be careful with a direct interchange. All of the final drive bearings are "Maxi fill" bearings. they will cost you a little more than the direct interchange as they have an extra ball in each one. But they carry more load.

Dave

Thanks for the tip Dave. I would have just ended up with standard bearings otherwise and I don't want a reason to have to tear my crawler down this far again.

Eric.

#8 Tractractor

Tractractor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:03 PM

I think IH used maxi type bearings in most of their machines early on. My TD35 has all maxi type. The conversion in their bearing book is to the maxi type. Fafnir 214W-W signifies maxi. The standard fafnir is suffix K. MRC maxi is suffix M & their standard is S. Not to many people have worked with bearing prefix & suffix like I have. Rest assured, When IH converts something, It is a direct change over. The numbers I have listed are correct & are the maxi type. Roller bearings, being heavier duty, have no maxi type & are the HD bearing. Same for Timken type bearinga. Jere

#9 Dave_McCallister

Dave_McCallister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Jere,

I don't have the IH bearing book (wish I did), but I do a lot of work with bearings in motors and other industry. I didn't know the IH book converted them over properly.
Any idea how a man could get one of those books?

Dave

#10 Tractractor

Tractractor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

Watch ebay. Iv'e seen them on there several times. I have #15-BL. Any one before or after that number will do the job. ie 12-BL, 16-BL, etc. Jere

DAVE, there is one ebay right now. #110110740124. Jere

Reply to this topic