9 replies to this topic

#1 MidMiGene

MidMiGene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

I have about 6 different plates that fit the #56 planters that I have. I was was trying to figure out which plate is used for different seeds. I have done a google search looking for some kind of chart.
Does anyone have a chart or list showing which plates are used for various seeds? TIA Gene

#2 farmertony

farmertony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:farming big, traveling, red tractors

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

My mom has one from the 1960's when plates where king, we had a very large pioneer dealership then and dad put them out by the box full. everyone had to had the same size corn and new plates I'll look it up and post it on here.
BORN AND BRED ON TRACTORS OF RED

www.SALTERFARMS.com

#3 CNKS

CNKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

For corn, the plate number is on the bag of corn seed, unless the seed is for an air planter, usually not there for soybean, but seed spacing is not as important for soybean as it is for corn. For grain sorghum, etc, there are 3 or four sizes, I remember white for the smallest, red for most medium size seed and, I think green for large size seed. In particular for corn, if for some reason the bag is not marked, you use trial and error, trying to get one seed dropped per cell, and avoid cracking any seed, etc. Corn comes in flat, round, medium round, and others.

#4 7and8and1456

7and8and1456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:15 PM

The operator's manual for our 185 planter units has many pages of dimensions and diagrams of the shape of the seed cell of a large number of original IH number seed plates.
Below is just one page. Are pages like this what you need ?
Seed_Plate__Large_.jpg

#5 MidMiGene

MidMiGene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:42 PM

The operator's manual for our 185 planter units has many pages of dimensions and diagrams of the shape of the seed cell of a large number of original IH number seed plates.
Below is just one page. Are pages like this what you need ?
Seed_Plate__Large_.jpg

Anything you have will be a great help to me.
I do have an operators manual for my planter, but the former owner has written on it so much that its illegible.
Yours appears to have more info than mine anyhow Please post the info. Thanks. Gene

#6 wisconsinihcollector

wisconsinihcollector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hi,
Here are the planter plate listings from a early 1980's Funk's G Hybrid seed catalog. It has the "B" and "C" series plates for both flat and round kernel sizes.

planter_plate_info.jpg

Hi,
Here are the planter plate listings from a early 1980's Funk's G Hybrid seed catalog. It has the "B" and "C" series plates for both flat and round kernel sizes.

#7 MidMiGene

MidMiGene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hi,

planter_plate_info.jpg

Thanks. I'll take all the info offered. Gene

#8 Jim Becker

Jim Becker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

Look on Rudi's Cub manual server at the Cub-174 planter manual. It has about a dozen pages on plate selection with lists of plate numbers with cell sizes. I am sure those will all be numbers for metal plates. Start looking at about page 16.
http://www.cleancomp...nter/index.html

#9 f 20

f 20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:4366 706 560D 460D smta sm m 350u B F20 2mh 234 pickers 1700 loadstar plows disc 510 drill and more

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:29 PM

i still use 56 planter. have quite a few plates send me the numbers and ill check mine got a couple plate books here somewhere. f 20 pat
4366 706d 706g 560d 460d smta sm m 350u f20 b 234 and 2mh pickers fast hich plows 56 planter 1700 loadstar and more. est.1873. hoosier homesead. t 20 td9

#10 MidMiGene

MidMiGene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

A big THANK YOU to everyone for their help.

Special thanks to 7and8and1456.
Your care package arrived today. :) Gene

Reply to this topic