"LANDOLL" Tillage Equipment

13 replies to this topic

#1 Rick G.

Rick G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts
  • Interests:IH, Farming, Aviation enthusiast, Astronomy, NFL, Country Music, Shania Twain

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

Having sold my 15' KRAUSE Soil Finisher almost 2 years ago, I am in search of another soil finisher.

So far, I'm coming up empty on finding a decent used unit in my size range.

I'm now contemplating going with ordering a brand new unit for myself.

I seem to be gravitating towards a "LANDOLL" tool. I see that they are located in Marysville, Kansas.

I have a LANDOLL dealer located approx. 30 miles north of me that I have been talking to, and I am very happy with the way he has been treating me so far.

So I am in search of advice and opinions here regarding the quality of LANDOLL and the equipment itself, and whether or not anyone thinks I should stay away from it for any particular reason(s) that I may not be aware of.

The unit I am interested in is a 15' model 875, named a "TILLOLL." It has the disc gang up front, followed by the C-Shanks with sweeps, followed by a rolling bar type of harrow, followed by a 3 row spike tooth harrow.

It would also have a walking tandem wheel/tire set-up.

A rear hitch is optional, which I may consider ordering in case I may also wish to pull a packer.

I'm just interested in hearing from anyone who owns or has owned a similar LANDOLL tool, and whether or not you liked it, and if so, why, or if not, why not, etc.

Other brands I have considered are, SUNFLOWER, and JOHN DEERE soil finishers.

The LANDOLL seems to be priced a bit better than these other 2 makes.

I hope to hear from any happy, or unhappy LANDOLL users/owners. Don't hold back, ha.

I'm going to be spending some big bucks and don't want to make a mistake. :( Ugh....

Thanks for reading.

Rick G.
Tractor owned: 1976 IH 1466 Black Stripe, Serial # 30313

#2 sweetcorn70

sweetcorn70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Farming, Heather....

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

Rick,

I don't have a lot of experience with the Landoll, but I do have some. Most of my finisher experience is with a Sunflower 23' finisher with a packer behind it. They had a 15' Landoll at the school farm where I went to college. It worked just as well as the sunflower, I thought. However, I've heard they can pull hard. I really can't tell you one way or the other because my sunflower experience was in a real heavy yellow clay and the Landoll was in a real nice loamy soil.

Personally, I don't think you can beat a Sunflower and if you can pay the price up front its worth it over the long haul! They are a very well built unit and they seem to hold their value better than other makes. The Landoll I'm familiar with seemed like it was built pretty well. I do remember it had some frame cracks that had been welded but that thing was the better part of 20 years old.

Mike
1954 Super MTA, 1940 A, 1942 Oliver 70, 455 IH planter, 37 Disk, 4240 Oliver 3-16 plow serial 9917, JD KBA Disk, JD FBB Drill

#3 HYTRAN

HYTRAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

If you do order a new Landoll make sure you have them paint it red for you. They do this all the time for Bruna Implement a CIH dealer with one store in Marysville. Otherwise I think it is standard yellow.

We have a Landoll weatherproofer and everything I see is quality work.

We have a Krause Landsman which is a very similar type tool you are talking about and it is also well built. If you get the rolling basket they do nice work on clods but in heavy wet soil will ball up and pack tight.

#4 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

We ran a Landoll 850 Finish-Ol that we bough new for 3 or 4 years. It was 21' with disc blades, field cultivator shanks & a 5 bar spike harrow. 7240 mfd would pull it around 6.5 - 7 mph. Biggest complaint we had was that when the finisher was all the way up the back row of the harrow would still drag the ground :( Drug bad enough that the lift arms on the outer sections started to bend. :angry: Also, to move down the road we would have to crank the front of the machine down to keep the back of the harrow from dragging on the road ( Front bar of the harrow would be over 20" off the ground. Finally added lift chains to the back bar so that when we picked the machine up on the ends the harrow would clear. Talked to two other Finish-Ol owners that had the same problem.

If it wasn't for the harrow problems it would have been a good machine.

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '52 SM, '53 stage 1 SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - ''13 Maxxum 115, 11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 4412 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 12/23 12oo planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

#5 no_brainer

no_brainer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,881 posts
  • Interests:Any thing with a seat and engine any color will work and my classic XL with a C-15 kitty

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:14 PM

My wifes uncle used one for years and it done a great job preparing seed beds always seemd to make a nice fluffy level seed bed just don't try to use it in wet ground if you do you have a mess to clean up .
Dear Lord ,please protect me from all of your followers .

AND IF IT RUNS LIKE A DEERE ,THEN IT SMELLS LIKE A JOHN
I WILL STILL DUCK HUNT UNTIL OBAMAS JACK BOOTED THUGS ( UN TROOPS) BREAK INTO MY HOME AND STEAL MY GUNS

#6 dver

dver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

I always thought that Landoll was built a little on the lite side. I think Sunflower is the Cadillac of tillage tools. The interesting part of the deal is that a dozen of Sunflower head honchos have left the company and now work for Landoll. That is the reason they are switching their line to blue paint. The blue disk is a Sunflower copycat. I would guess that most of the Landoll line would soon follow suit.

#7 IHboog

IHboog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:04 PM

We ran a Landoll 850 Finish-Ol that we bough new for 3 or 4 years. It was 21' with disc blades, field cultivator shanks & a 5 bar spike harrow. 7240 mfd would pull it around 6.5 - 7 mph. Biggest complaint we had was that when the finisher was all the way up the back row of the harrow would still drag the ground :( Drug bad enough that the lift arms on the outer sections started to bend. :angry: Also, to move down the road we would have to crank the front of the machine down to keep the back of the harrow from dragging on the road ( Front bar of the harrow would be over 20" off the ground. Finally added lift chains to the back bar so that when we picked the machine up on the ends the harrow would clear. Talked to two other Finish-Ol owners that had the same problem.

It was an 876 finish-oll. The only finisher's that Landoll made were the 875 and the 876, with the main difference beint the 875's had the hopper reel on them.

IHboog
It ain't the size of the man in the fight, but it's the size of the fight in the man.

#8 Andrew Fritsche

Andrew Fritsche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

It was an 876 finish-oll. The only finisher's that Landoll made were the 875 and the 876, with the main difference beint the 875's had the hopper reel on them.

IHboog

Huh, i see i'm not the only one that has to correct the old man when he's wrong ;) LOL
2+2_MN,
New Ulm MN, Home of Schell, Hauenstein, and Grain Belt beer
6588, 756gas, 424, 300, 400Diesel, M, H, 1460AF. Fritsche Farms Reg Guernseys, 32 milking cows plus young stock.

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some ****in' muscle.

#9 J Cook

J Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

I have some experiance with the JD 724, and the landal tillall. The jd is more expencive but does a good job.

The landall is a good heavy built unit, it dosent have the clearance of the deere, and the other thing I have found out is the disk blades need to point to the center. If the disk point out the tool will ridge realy bad, and a 15 foot is going to be realy bad.

Over all the till all is a good unit, with good parts suport. I have been satisfied, I however do recomend that you get as wide of unit as you can pull. Then tell them to leave the choper nives off. In Northeast Mo the choper knives are not needed they will cause you more greef than good. if you dont need them. Jon

#10 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:01 PM

[Huh, i see i'm not the only one that has to correct the old man when he's wrong ;) LOL

Problem is, when you get to be our age you brain has absorbed so much information it's hard to recall where all that info is stored at. Like a computer's hard drive, us old timers need to have their brains defraged at times :wacko: :wacko: .

Now you young bucks, you haven't had the time to absorb all that information so your brains has plenty of extra capacity & it's not hard to retrieve that info. :lol: :lol:

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '52 SM, '53 stage 1 SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - ''13 Maxxum 115, 11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 4412 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 12/23 12oo planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

Reply to this topic