15064 replies to this topic

#11101 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

I've got a busy day ahead of me, but wanted to post something. This first photo is of my late friend Jimmy Schmauch on his 45hp Case that he and my other late friend, Austin Monk, rebuilt from pieces. I'll never forget, after I soloed and got some hours under my belt in an airplane, I did my first cross country to Geraldine, Montana. They just had a hangar and an old dirt landing strip. But near the hangar was a pile of parts from a Case steam engine. I went to talk to the owner - my now late friend Jim Spevacek, about the engine parts. He wanted a hefty price for a young guy like me at that time, so I just looked and got back into the airplane. Years later, Jimmy Schmauch went to Geraldine and bought those parts and hauled them back to his shop in Kalispell. This engine was the result. It was a fine little engine and Austin gave Jimmy a 4-bottom Case plow to pull with it. Jimmy's engine and mine were hauled to Norm Borgan's place near the Glacier Park International Airport at Kalispell one year. I got to plow with this engine and it was the first time I'd ever pulled a plow with a steam engine! It "lit a fuse" in my head that I could never extinguish. I still love plowing with steam! Sadly, Jimmy only lived about another year, as he found out soon after that day that he had cancer.

45 Case Jimmy Schmauch red.jpg

Another Case in the Flathead Valley besides Jimmy's and mine was this 75hp engine at the Trap Zoo. It sold and went into Canada in the early 1990s.

75hp Case Trap Zoo.jpg

I'd done a lot of talk about piping injectors lately, having just finished on the 20hp Reeves yesterday. I'm sure that's "Greek" to some of you. An injector is an amazing invention. I don't know who invented the first one? There were many brands built in the steam era and some were better than others. The most prominate name was Penberthy, as these three in this picture. I scrounged these three at the scrapyard on one day! I'll never do that again, as long as I live. The top is a 1-1/2 inch, the middle is a 1 inch and the bottom one is a 1/2 inch injector. "Injector talk" has gone on as long as I've been dabbling in steam (over 57 years now). It is a difficult task to express with words how an injector works. The technical explanation is: "The velocity of the steam and the condensation of the water" is what makes an injector work. What an injector does in a steam engine that has, let's say, 150 psi on the steam gauge. You're down to 1/4 of a glass of water in your gauge glass and you want to add water to bring it up to half of a glass. I open the steam valve generously, then with the other hand open the water valve. You hear the suction in the piping as the injector "takes" (sometimes this is wishful thinking) and the injector is pushing water into the boiler, using 150 psi and pushing water in AGAINST 150 psi. There are two venturi in an injector. One blows steam into the other and between them is the cold water inlet. That jet of steam sucks water into the second venturi and with the aid of a check valve in the line, pushes water through the check valve and on into the front area of the boiler barrel, away from the hotter water of the firebox area of the boiler. Since steam feeds in with the water, the water is naturally warmed before reaching the boiler's water, however it does cool the water temperature in the boiler. Air pressure couldn't do this like steam does. Air doesn't disapate like steam which cools and condenses back to water.

Now the test.... Just kidding. :)

injectors 10-2-08 red.JPG

Something that is VERY fascinating to me is the "Inspirator" as in this picture. I've only run one in my life of steaming. My friend Don Bradley had one on his 30hp Alberta Special undermounted Avery one year at Belgrade, Montana. I got to plow with the engine and use that inspirator. Locomotives used them very frequently. They are basically an injector, but used one handle to open the steam and the water simultaneously with the movement ot that one lever. They are preset by the needs of the engineer, as to percentage of steam and water entering and exiting the imspirator. So when you want to add water, you just push the lever and wah-lah! Water! (theoretically). They don't ALWAYS work either! Gary ;)

inspirator, neat red.jpg

#11102 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Old Binder Guy,
Thank-You so much for the response. My wife's mother was a Bailey. Her mother was a Craig. Her mother was an Abbott. Many of those pictures my wife had not seen, and we will be sharing them with her (Bailey) Grandmother this weekend. I've heard many stories in the past and didn't pay much attention to some, but seeing him drinking beer with Calamity Jane in that photo makes me take new stock! I did get to meet Darrell in '04 while visiting family in Lewistown.
My wife was a Burnham. I think the family farm was up around the Maiden area, and decendents are still making a living in the Lewistown area.
Again Thank-You for your time ,and the effort you have put into this thread. It makes a huge difference to those of us who live and breath farming! Mike

You're welcome, Mike! I've been gone from the Judith Basin area for 30+ years, but knew several Burnhams around Lewistown. Was she any relation to the Burnhams at Brooks?

Your wife's family comes from a long, early line of central Montanans. She can be proud of her heritage. You know if Teddy Blue could drink beer with Calamity Jane and have Charlie Russell in for supper, that speaks VOLUMES in Central Montana!

I think Granville Stuart beat my grandpa Yaeger by a year. Grandpa had spent time there before freighting and liked the Judith Basin country, but his homestead wasn't filed until September 28th, 1881. I'm pretty sure Granville Stuart and his silent partners, Hauser and Davis, settled the DHS Ranch which Teddy Blue later operated, in 1880? Darrell Abbott, would certainly know. He's a walking encyclopedia on central Montana history... and a little hard to get off of the phone with too!! :)

Again, I've never been accused of being normal and I'm so glad you liked my post! Gary ;)

Scrapper & OBG, Strangley I had a man here I know yesterday and he knew of Billy Blue Abbott................think he has read the book and we had quite a conversation on this subject. Now my curiosity is really up and will have to find a copy of the book to read, chub.

Chub,
I found my first edition of Teddy Blue's book in an antique shop in Kalispell years ago. I paid plenty, but not as much as if it had been in an antique store in Lewistown, 330 miles away from Kalispell. My fifth edition paperback was sold at a local sporting goods store in Lewistown about 40 years ago. Like Mike said, I'd bet if a person were patient, one would show up on Amazon.com. Other low volume, scarce editions come up there from time to time. I remember family members talking about Teddy Blue Abbott when I was about a 4th grader and they referred to the icon with "hero like" attributes. Gary ;) E

EDIT: I had to go check Amazon and none came up there, but this one came up on eBay! This is a second edition published in 1955. Lewistown lit up like a candle when this came out. The Abbott family went to a lot of work and ear bending to make this reprint available. I remember it being a front page story in the Lewistown Daily News that year.

http://product.half....1143423&tg=info

#11103 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Now that I have heard the story----------I am bettin my lunch money that Teddy "Blue" Abbot knew exactly where "Blue Rock", Montana wuz.

And-----------I never found much wrong with them "swinging doors" myself!!!! :blink: :o ;)

Now that I have my new Avon automobile-----------labeled on the underside as a "Sterling Six"; I might ride off up that way and see if I can't locate "Blue Rock", Montana.

Found this in an antique shop in Jackson, Mississippi today-----------was within my price range, so I figured I better bring it home with me. This was actually an Avon Cosmetic Company bottle of men's after shave---------the spare tires are the bottle top. The label is on the bottom of the bottle------and lost some pieces when the lady pulled the tape off holding the $8.00 price tag in place (but its still legible enough for an old guy from Avon, Mississippi). Still got some scent in the bottle------nothing I would want to wear------------but sure glad to have the bottle.

Avon car1.jpg

Delta Dirt
Avon, Mississippi 38723

#11104 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

front view showing the grille emblem-----"Avon"

Avon car4.jpg

one more coming in next post

Delta Dirt
Avon, Mississippi 38723

#11105 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

label from underside of car---------(acutally bottle in upright position)

Avon car2.jpg

Roger or some of the "pros"--------was there such a model as a Sterling Six???

Reckon while I am looking for Blue Rock--------I could check out Avon, Montana and Avon, New York!!! ;)

These pictures were small enough that I should have been able to post at least two on one post---------but never can get more than one photo to post per posting---------gotta be missing some part of the picture posting process????

Delta Dirt
Avon, Mississippi 38723

#11106 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

Anson,
I'm on a hotel computer in Missoula and I sure didn't drive past Blue Rock, but I did drive past Avon! I'm fully amazed that I remembered my password and only had to try twice to get on here. Does dementia reverse itself at times? I can't remember. I used to frequent those swinging doors in my past, but they usually ended up hitting me in the butt! I don't go there anymore and life seems much more pleasant. Everytime I got close and personal with the toilet bowl, it reminded me the last time I was there and I wondered how the heck I got here again. So for my misbehavior tonight, I slipped next door and indulged in a Dairy Queen, Butterfinger Blizzard!

Well I don't have any photos here to put on, so I guess I'll go back up and watch TV. Enjoy your $8 Avon bottle!
Gary ;)

#11107 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Think I told the story about a farmer from a little north of here that bought up several new J-D combines and took off custom harvesting. He was in severe financial problems---------but apparently the John Deere credit boys didn't know about it at the time he purchased the combines. He rented his farm------and hit the road. (this all happened 20+ yrs ago)

I used to run into him through my real estate circles------------at one time he commented he wasn't worried about J-D credit finding the combines anytime soon------------they were covered in several feet of snow in Missoula, Montana. (and that was probably the first time I looked Missoula up on the maps----------it looked to be snow country alright------------and along ways from Mississippi)

Don't know what ever happened about the combines-----------the old boy died early in life and the farm was sold by his creditors. Last I heard they were still looking for the combines.

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

#11108 Loadstar

Loadstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,623 posts
  • Interests:7130MFD, 1660 Axial, 71 Loadstar, 59 B-110, R160 S160, Cockshutt 40 & 50

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the lesson on the "science of steam" Gary. Although I think it is going to take a few more sessions before I can pass a test.
Anson, looks like you have picked up a collectible from Avon alright. I have seen those before, not sure but I might even have one stashed away here somewhere in my "collection".
Speaking of John Deere combines I have this old photo of my Dad with his John Deere D hitched to a pto JD binder. The last one he owned before changing over to combines. This pic was taken about 1950. My grandfather up on the binder seat. He would have been well up in his 70s by that time.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dad D and binder.jpg

#11109 updraft

updraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Think I told the story about a farmer from a little north of here that bought up several new J-D combines and took off custom harvesting. He was in severe financial problems---------but apparently the John Deere credit boys didn't know about it at the time he purchased the combines. He rented his farm------and hit the road. (this all happened 20+ yrs ago)

I used to run into him through my real estate circles------------at one time he commented he wasn't worried about J-D credit finding the combines anytime soon------------they were covered in several feet of snow in Missoula, Montana. (and that was probably the first time I looked Missoula up on the maps----------it looked to be snow country alright------------and along ways from Mississippi)

Don't know what ever happened about the combines-----------the old boy died early in life and the farm was sold by his creditors. Last I heard they were still looking for the combines.

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

Anson, I think I know the answers to your mysteries. At some point in time, these combines grazed their way through wheat fields from Missoula MT. to Blue Rock MT., for reasons unknown at this time. After OBG tells you where Blue Rock MT. is, you can drive there in your Sterling Six and find the herd of missing J. D. combines standing in a field, patiently waiting to be found.

This is only a theory, but I have watched enough Columbo episodes to be somewhat accurate.

Charlie

The lineup:
1927 McCormick Deering 10-20 1930 McCormick Deering 10-20
Farmall 560 gas 1942 Farmall M Farmall Super C
1966 IH Cub IH 340U International 544
1937 Case CC3
1939 JD model H 1941 JD model H 1938 JD model L
1952 Ford 8n Ferg TO 30
Others.....

#11110 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

Anson, I think I know the answers to your mysteries. At some point in time, these combines grazed their way through wheat fields from Missoula MT. to Blue Rock MT., for reasons unknown at this time. After OBG tells you where Blue Rock MT. is, you can drive there in your Sterling Six and find the herd of missing J. D. combines standing in a field, patiently waiting to be found.

This is only a theory, but I have watched enough Columbo episodes to be somewhat accurate.

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

Anson, I didn't see those John Deere combines today, but I did pass by Avon again.

Updraft, I don't know Willie well enough to ask him. Maybe you or Anson would? He's probably on Highway 66 near a truckstop, out behind the bus, playing on the road again? Willie holds the key to Blue Rock. Not me. I'm a relative newcomer to Montana. Columbo might know Willie?

Ralph, I lost the key to the test, so you're safe for a while.

I posted a picture of a 110hp Best steamer hauling lumber in northern California. Gary ;)

Best Steamer hauling lumber.jpg

Reply to this topic