14719 replies to this topic

#1 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,909 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:49 PM

I've got some photos I'd like to share. I was blessed with being born in Montana's Judith Basin country and I grew up over there, farmed & ranched, but moved here to Kalispell, Montana 25 years ago. I have many good and bad memorys, but wanted to share some good! The earliest tractor I remember there on the homestead was a Titan with four cylinders and four carburetors or mixers, when I was very young. It ran but got junked when a neighbor wanted to buy a rear wheel for a spring he was developing. :o Before my time they had four 15-30s and two 22-36s. We were still haying with Farmall Regulars and an F-20 or 30 (I can't remember but it was red.). At my earliest memory we had one styled Farmall, a 1939 H. I still own it, use it, and it is FBH681, making it the 181st one built.

I've been accused of many things in my life but being "normal" isn't one of them. That's just a setting on a clothes dryer, anyway.

This first photo is far from my favorite, but it shows my dad on a 15-30 pulling a McCormick-Deering combine. As I recall, the tractor was well liked, but the combine.... Well, I remember it sitting in a fence corner, the motor used in "the old log shop" to power the line shaft.

This is a later photo. I don't remember when the Cub Cadet first came out, but this is the second one sold in Lewistown and my cousin bought the first one.

This is a picture of my nephew, "Ralphie", on Grandad's new Cub Cadet. I would like to point out the IH equipment in the distance. I see a 141 Combine, a TD-40, A 125SPVC Combine, A Farmall Super A, and a grain drill.
Gary ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• The_McCormick_Deering_Combine.jpg
  • RalphieonCubCadet.jpg

#2 MAGNUM

MAGNUM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:all IH tractors over year 1960, i have a restored 1466 open station,a 1966 1206.cub cadets, model 86,108,109,129,149,1210,1710,782

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:22 PM

great pictures, keep em comin'
i own a restored 1971 1466,one of the first off the line open station,a 1206,open station,#8917. plus restored cub cadet's 86,108,129, and a 1710,(not restored),782 w/3pt an just got a 149 hydraulic lift and 3pt.just got a 1210 w/44" deck
Either make excuses or make an effort and find a way, one makes things better,the other does not.

#3 THE snowman

THE snowman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:Ice cold Coors Lite and old country music

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

Check out the smile on that kid! Ear to ear, thats cool.
Eine Feste Burg Ist Unser Gott, Wie Werden Beten

I AM A BITTER GUN OWNER AND I VOTE!!!

7140;766;485 tractors;4600 FC;480 disc;6500 conser-til;183 cultivator;(2) 2250 loaders; Cub Cadet Original, Cub Cadet 72, Cub Cadet 782

#4 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,909 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

Magnum,
Are you really sure??? The guys who frequent the steam side of SmokStak will tell you that is like waving currency inside a house of ill repute! :o

I discussed my Farmall H, the 181st one built... This is "Old Annie" and my grandson, Maverik, was driving it around my place when I lived near Whitefish, Montana. That other toy to the left is another of my fettishes. It is my 1909 Case 15hp steam engine and tender.

ANNIE... My dad and his brothers seldom ever bought anything new for the farm. Most of it they bought as is, used and rebuilt them in the winters. That was true back in hard times, anyway. This Farmall H was bought new in 1939 by Anna Stilson and traded in for a Farmall M in 1940, when needing a little more tractor. Dad and his brothers bought the H then, in like new shape, and promptly named it Old Annie. Every used tractor they got, they named after the former owner. This tradition continues in my family.
Gary ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• Maverik_on_Ol___Annie____Case_engine_too.jpg

#5 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,909 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:58 PM

This is a picture of my best friend, before I met her. This picture was taken in 1949 of (now my wife of nearly 44 years) Sharon sitting atop her dad's WD-6. By the time she was 14, her dad let her run his WD-9 and she went to the field for the day, not just a couple of rounds around a field. But he paid her quite well for what kids that age received back then too.

I found the only picture of his WD-9 I could find and posted it. He and I were farming together by this time. I'd bought my new IH 806 Wheatland with IH cab, at right, by this time. My father in-law, Lynn Simpson, was pulling my two IH 150 shovel drills with his WD-9.
Gary ;) WD_6Sharon1949.jpg WD_9806WheatlandatMoore.jpg

#6 MAGNUM

MAGNUM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:all IH tractors over year 1960, i have a restored 1466 open station,a 1966 1206.cub cadets, model 86,108,109,129,149,1210,1710,782

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

heck ya gary, keep postin!! :D
i own a restored 1971 1466,one of the first off the line open station,a 1206,open station,#8917. plus restored cub cadet's 86,108,129, and a 1710,(not restored),782 w/3pt an just got a 149 hydraulic lift and 3pt.just got a 1210 w/44" deck
Either make excuses or make an effort and find a way, one makes things better,the other does not.

#7 PhilipC

PhilipC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:IH tractors, Machining, farming and ranching, Chevrolet pickups and good dogs!

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:40 PM

That is some good stuff. Does your family still farm?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety!"-Benjamin Franklin.......... Seatbelt laws come to mind!

#8 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,909 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

Here are a couple of photos of newer IH tractors on the farm. This May 1968 picture taken on a Brownie Hawkeye was of my 806 Wheatland with factory IH Cab and duals. A Wheatland denoted an 806 Standard without a Torque Amplifier or PTO.

This second picture shows the one tractor I'd really love to own again! It was my 1256 Turbo diesel with IH factory cab. It is shown here on the farm in her winter clothes. Would that old girl ever plow snow! I would plow from around 7-9 mph in all that blade could contain and it just rolled off to the side, like a county road grader would do.

Attached Thumbnails

• IH806WheatlandSpecialin1968.jpg
  • IH1256insnowclothes.jpg

#9 JD Humm

JD Humm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

Great photos, please keep them coming! :D

#10 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,909 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:59 PM

That is some good stuff. Does your family still farm?

PhilipC,
My family does NOT still farm, but I still have cousins over in the Judith Basin that farm and ranch there. Still lots of IH stuff too.

I am part of a local old iron club here at Kalispell and we have a show every year, the weekend after Labor Day weekend. My son Mike owns the threshing machine and I'm one of the steam nuts, so I get to "farm" for a few minutes each day and that tides me over for another year. Binding and shocking grain is something I still like to do, and I started shocking long before I started school... Or at least I thought I was helping shock.
Gary ;)

Reply to this topic