#10641 CardaleBob

CardaleBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Preserving old Equipment.

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

HI Guys: Back to the issue of "Is it a TD35 or a TD40"? The TracTracTor in the picture has 5 lower rollers and at least 39 or 40 links in the track chains like a TD40. TD35s had 4 rollers and 36 link chains on a shorter track frame. The upper track carrier rollers are TD40 style. Wider than the ones used on the TD35, The TD35 had the same style as the TD6, TD9 and other later models. The front idler mounts are TD40 style. Note the disk type drive sprocket TD40 style. The disk is only welded on, but I have never seen them on a TD35. It has a single plunger IH injection pump, which was a field change over for both TD35s and TD40s. This information from operating a TD35 for the last 57 years, and counting! CardaleBob
10-20, 22-36, W40, WD40, TD35, Farmall"H", WD9, TD6, Rumely "16-30", JD"H", JD"AR", JD"A", JD"D", JD"R", Oliver "Super 88", Oliver "99", Case "500 Diesel", MH "Model 25", CAT "D814A", CAT "TWENTY", English Fordson "N", Fordson "E27N Gas", Fordson "E27N Perkins ", Numerous IHC Type "M" and other makes of engines.

#10642 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

Interesting

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

#10643 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

HI Guys: Back to the issue of "Is it a TD35 or a TD40"? The TracTracTor in the picture has 5 lower rollers and at least 39 or 40 links in the track chains like a TD40. TD35s had 4 rollers and 36 link chains on a shorter track frame. The upper track carrier rollers are TD40 style. Wider than the ones used on the TD35, The TD35 had the same style as the TD6, TD9 and other later models. The front idler mounts are TD40 style. Note the disk type drive sprocket TD40 style. The disk is only welded on, but I have never seen them on a TD35. It has a single plunger IH injection pump, which was a field change over for both TD35s and TD40s. This information from operating a TD35 for the last 57 years, and counting! CardaleBob

Cardale Bob,
Again, my appologies for over driving my headlights. I should have investigated before opening my mouth. I also have been running TD-40s for the last 57 years... Interesting you and I started about the same time.

It's true, this picture had this conical rock disk welded into the final drive spocket, which is TD-40. I went to the construction forum and I found a photo there of a TD-35 owned by NativeAmericanMale and it has a disk drive sprocket. His is flat and could be cast. I've seen TD-35s with the rock disk welded in, as the TD-40s have. That disk is welded in, just like the TD-40's but they are flat, not conical as on the TD-40, and they have the round hole (for greasing?), like the TD-40s do. I can't locate a photo of an example.

I hope to learn more about the differences between the TD-35s and TD-40s in the next 57 years. I guess I'd better get with it.
Again, my apologies,
Gary
OBG

#10644 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

This is a picture of my friend Gary Craig on his 1884 Geiser Peerless. The front wheels are mostly wooden and the spokes in the rear drivers are wooden. Sure a beautiful old engine. And... Happy New Year! Gary ;)

1884 Geiser Peerless, Gary Craig.jpg

#10645 updraft

updraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

What, another engine? Well yes, if I can correctly operate the image feature. This is a picture taken at the Pioneer Gas Engine Show in Marion NY. Knowing almost nothing about the owner of this machine or steam engines in general, I can offer no details, but hopefully others will.

Posted Image

Charlie

Charlie

The lineup:
1927 McCormick Deering 10-20 1930 McCormick Deering 10-20
Farmall 560 gas 1942 Farmall M Farmall Super C
1966 IH Cub IH 340U International 544
1937 Case CC3
1939 JD model H 1941 JD model H 1938 JD model L
1952 Ford 8n Ferg TO 30
Others.....

#10646 CardaleBob

CardaleBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Preserving old Equipment.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hi Gary: No apologies needed. This thread is kind of a lifeline for me. It offers something new everyday, from the time I was a kid, up to today. Your pictures, plus those added by other members, make it very special! I hope we can all enjoy sharing for many years to come. Happy 2012 to all. CardaleBob
10-20, 22-36, W40, WD40, TD35, Farmall"H", WD9, TD6, Rumely "16-30", JD"H", JD"AR", JD"A", JD"D", JD"R", Oliver "Super 88", Oliver "99", Case "500 Diesel", MH "Model 25", CAT "D814A", CAT "TWENTY", English Fordson "N", Fordson "E27N Gas", Fordson "E27N Perkins ", Numerous IHC Type "M" and other makes of engines.

#10647 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

What, another engine? Well yes, if I can correctly operate the image feature. This is a picture taken at the Pioneer Gas Engine Show in Marion NY. Knowing almost nothing about the owner of this machine or steam engines in general, I can offer no details, but hopefully others will.

Posted Image

Charlie

Charlie,
Thanks for the picture of that 50hp Case. They are a real nice engine to run. It is just like the one Austin Monk had that I've put here so much. (As a matter of fact, I got an email from Ray Hoffman, publisher of the J.I. Case Heritage Eagle and he said he'd put a picture I sent him last month of Austin Monk and Carl Mehmke on the cover, of that 50hp Case at our place near Whitefish in 1994.) I don't know which picture here he used? I'm thinking this one.

Austin\'s 50 Case and plow.JPG

But it could be this one?

Austin Monk Carl Mehmke.jpg

Thanks again for your photo, Charlie. And I'm glad you got the picture thing figured out! I didn't have hair to pull out, but I pulled out my hair, learning how to post when I started here.
Gary

#10648 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hi Gary: No apologies needed. This thread is kind of a lifeline for me. It offers something new everyday, from the time I was a kid, up to today. Your pictures, plus those added by other members, make it very special! I hope we can all enjoy sharing for many years to come. Happy 2012 to all. CardaleBob

Cardale Bob,
I've always tried to step up and apologize when I've wronged someone. It was just the way I was raised, I guess. I remember Dad telling me when I started driving to school (4-5 years after learning how to start and plow with a TD-40.) : "If you see a patrolman behind you with his lights flashing, you damwell better stop and take whatever you have coming to you and I don't care how big of a thing you've done." Thankfully the red lights I saw flashing, weren't until after I was married, and were for exceeding the speed limit.

Well, I found these pictures looking for the pictures for the last post to updraft. This was Carl and Austin plowing that same day.

50hp Case, Mehmke, Monk plowing my place 1995.jpg

This was a picture of Carl (L) and me visiting that day at lunch time or thereabouts. Carl owned a T-20, his dad's TD-35, a T-40 and a TD-40 wide gauge, all TracTracTors, plus about 75 other tractor and steam engines at his museum west of Belt, Montana.
Gary ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• Carl Mehmke & me visiting 1995 Whitefish.jpg

#10649 Tubacase47

Tubacase47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:J. I. Case; post Civil War Military Bands

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

Gary, there are also a 10-20 Tractractor and a T35.
Speaking of Ray Hoffman, I had an E-mail from him yesterday. He's coming out to interview Don Bradley and wants me to set up a tour of Carl's collection. Of course, I'd never think of doing that.

#10650 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

Tom, Thanks for filling in the blanks for me on Carl's two additional TracTracTors.

Ray visited about his upcoming visit with me as well. He'd like to meet me as well and maybe I should plan to drive to the museum and meet you two there? Just an idea I'm mulling over in my head.

Don Bradley is an old steam man at Forsyth, Montana who grew up around steam and one of the extremely few left in the country who operated steam to make a living, working with his father and older brothers with a sawmill in Montana's Rosebud country. This picture is of Don on the deck of his 14-bottom John Deere plow, that's hitched to his 110hp Case; plus his Avery is popping off at the left. Gary ;)

Bradley11030Avery.jpg

Reply to this topic