IH Tractors on Montana Farm

15533 replies to this topic

#11061 Loadstar

Loadstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Interests:7130MFD, 1660 Axial, 71 Loadstar, 59 B-110, R160 S160, Cockshutt 40 & 50

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

During the quiet time here, I have been thinking about times past. Like many, during my youth a penny could sometimes take a message a long distance. You guessed it! From my youth (which lives in the bottom of a file cabinet drawer) original 1 cent post cards.

Charlie, what was on the other side of the card? I've got a few of those old things too. I think this one was from my grandfather's youth. ;) Another 1 cent post card.

Attached Thumbnails

• Case Steam Roller card.jpg

#11062 updraft

updraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi Ralph,

The post cards which I have are not picture post cards. They are basic plain ones with the back side totally blank for the senders written message. My guess is they were Post Office issue as the stamp is pre printed. Your Case roller card is a beauty. I would guess it was a free hand out as advertisement.

Charlie

The lineup:
1927 McCormick Deering 10-20 1930 McCormick Deering 10-20
Farmall 560 gas 1942 Farmall M Farmall Super C
1966 IH Cub IH 340U International 544
1937 Case CC3
1939 JD model H 1941 JD model H 1938 JD model L
1952 Ford 8n Ferg TO 30
Others.....

#11063 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

I went shopping today. I figured I better get another red tractor for this forum. I bought the big one, of course.

Ron

It's a sickness aint it Ron?

Yes it is! This thing was actually in a salvage yard and it is a very nice tractor. Worn some, of course. However, this old girl has been well maintained, it appears. Something is messed up in the transmission. All the gears are there, but when you go into 3rd, you are also still in 2nd. Boy would things bust if you let out the clutch!!! Everything seems to work except a couple lights and the tach. The air conditioner is low on freon or it would even be cooling, I think.

Ron

#11064 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Looks like R-C has some fancy salvage yards up his way---------that's a good looking "field" tractor. Sure looks to be in better condition than that "air" tractor he pictured for us a couple of weeks ago!!!!.

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

#11065 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Looks like R-C has some fancy salvage yards up his way---------that's a good looking "field" tractor. Sure looks to be in better condition than that "air" tractor he pictured for us a couple of weeks ago!!!!.

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

It just can't hit the dirt as fast! :)

#11066 updraft

updraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

During the quiet time here, I have been thinking about times past. Like many, during my youth a penny could sometimes take a message a long distance. You guessed it! From my youth (which lives in the bottom of a file cabinet drawer) original 1 cent post cards.

Charlie, what was on the other side of the card? I've got a few of those old things too. I think this one was from my grandfather's youth. ;) Another 1 cent post card.

Ralph,

Below is a postcard I happened across on Ebay last night which is currently for sale. It seems that whenever I pass through nearby Avon, NY lately, my mind has an association with Anson and Avon Ms. I am putting in a bit of info from a Livingston County history page for Anson to review. The Avon Inn shown still is operating and I have dined there a few times over the years. To anyone with any sense of smell, the sulphur springs are no secret at certain times of year, especially across the river flats on the West side of the Genesee. Road signs saying "Do Not Breathe For Next One Mile" would be appropiate.

AVON - Avon's history as a famous health resort encompasses the year 1821 through the early Twentieth Century. Though the sulphur springs were well known to the native tribes, it was after white settlement in 1789 and specifically beginning in 1821 that commercialization brought thousands of tourists to Western New York. Fourteen inns offered "the waters" as drinks and baths and presented a relaxing ambiance among the aromas emanating from the numerous mineral springs. The springs still flow in Avon today. A village park occupies the area of the Lower Springs and the racetrack, laid out in 1836 serves as a training track for standard bread horses. The Avon Inn is the last remaining hotel from that era and remains a welcoming part of the Avon community.

Avon Inn postcard.JPG

Charlie

The lineup:
1937 Case CC3
1952 Ford 8n Ferg TO 30
Others.....

#11067 chub

chub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Interests:Do not consider my self a collector--rather a enthusist.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

And the names of the cars in the picture are? There are some "experts" on this thread so I'll bet it happens, chub.

#11068 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

thanks "updraft"------

There are several Avons around the country---------and it looks like your Avon has some real history behind it.

Funny-----------but we pronounce Avon as Av---on; while most others are pronounced A-von (as with the cosmetic line). We just always figured that the rest of the country was mis-pronouncing it??? :huh: :o ;)

We did run upon a pretty little girl up in Oxford, Mississippi in recent years that was named Avon (and pronounced it as we do); but she had no idea as to where her mom and dad came up with that name------------and had never heard of Avon, Mississippi until my nephew told her about it.

Maybe our sign should read: Please don't blink your eyes--------you will miss us!!!

We do have a school, post office, church, cotton gin and one country store (sometimes the store has gas------and sometimes they don't).

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

#11069 Loadstar

Loadstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Interests:7130MFD, 1660 Axial, 71 Loadstar, 59 B-110, R160 S160, Cockshutt 40 & 50

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Ralph,

Below is a postcard I happened across on Ebay last night which is currently for sale. It seems that whenever I pass through nearby Avon,

Charlie, theres some real historic cards turn up on ebay and I have bought a few over the years. These Case ones are old ones that have been in the family since new as far as I know.
Can't guess as to the cars in your Avon postcard.
I've got a pic here , not a postcard, but a photo taken of our little town parade in 1955 celebrating Sask.'s 50th. That horse, carriage and occupants are all decked out in sunday best including netting on the horse. I'm guessing this was to offer some protection from the flies.
The 49 Monarch in the background catches my eye , as well as the Cockshutt 40 or 50 following the horse and carriage. The lug marks in the gravel street indicate a steel wheeled tractor had passed not long before.

Attached Thumbnails

• 55 parade.JPG

#11070 updraft

updraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Quote:
Funny-----------but we pronounce Avon as Av---on; while most others are pronounced A-von (as with the cosmetic line). We just always figured that the rest of the country was mis-pronouncing it???

We are in agreement, Anson. It is Av---on here to most folks. Strangely enough, a mile and one half down the road to the East is a place called East Av---on. where Rt. 20 and Rt. 15 intersect. We also have some cricks rather than creeks.

Charlie

The lineup:
1937 Case CC3
1952 Ford 8n Ferg TO 30
Others.....

Reply to this topic