IH Tractors on Montana Farm

15412 replies to this topic

#11041 Loadstar

Loadstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,842 posts
  • Interests:7130MFD, 1660 Axial, 71 Loadstar, 59 B-110, R160 S160, Cockshutt 40 & 50

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Somebody tell me about this old plow that followed me home. (age------manufacturer??)

Looks like it might have worn down several mules in its lifetime--------best I can tell, its rated @ 1 hp along with one raw-boned man with lots of grit and determination. Most likely this old plow spent it's days in the hill area of Mississippi.

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

Anson, I can't tell you much about the plow you have there except that it reminds a bit of one I have here. Mine is the original breaking plow used to break up the prairie on this century farm back in the early 1900s. Your handles are in much better shape as I think this old plow of mine has either broken or rotted them off. The wooden beam I assume is oak and has survived pretty well considering it sat outside most of it's life. I have stored it in an old log barn some 30 years ago to prevent further deterioration, but now the barn is in danger of collapsing on it. This old plow is a bit big for one guy with a weak back to try moving much but I'll try to get a picture of it if I get in the vicinity.

#11042 Loadstar

Loadstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,842 posts
  • Interests:7130MFD, 1660 Axial, 71 Loadstar, 59 B-110, R160 S160, Cockshutt 40 & 50

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

And here it is, Grandpa's wood beam breaking plow. The one remaining handle hangs by a bolt. The wooden beam still seems solid. The storage space is far from ideal with melting snow on the roof dripping inside. I recall helping Dad use it once probably 35 years ago to plow out a drainage trench across the pasture so it must have been in working condition back then.

Attached Thumbnails

• Breaking plow.jpg

#11043 Old Binder Guy

Old Binder Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Nothing much new here tonight. Anson, I'm envious of your mule plow (Your's too Ralph). I've had opportunities to pick up an old oak beam walking plow, but somehow, they've all passed me by.

This is a 32hp Reeves cross compound Canadian Special plowing. It is a late engine with extension rims and friction disk power steering. I think it was in the Judith Basin somewhere, but I've lost track of it.

32 cc CS E-B Reeves plowing.jpg

This is a "framed" photo of an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm... our 1935 F-12 taken through the window openings of the 1925 Model TT Ford Truck.

IH Farmall F-12 throudh 1925 Model TT red.jpg

I also took this one of our Farmalls H & M or Annie & Toot, the Model T Coupe, Model TT Truck and 15hp Case steam engine in the shed at Silver Creek. Gary ;)

Farmalls H & M, Model T & TT, Case steamer 3-9-12 red.jpg

#11044 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Nice framing job there Professor.

Loadstar has a more unique plow than this plow I ran up on. Not only has he got a gauge wheel-------but looks like he had some kind of transmission adapted to the plow. I can only imagine as to how this transmission mounted to the mule or horse----(I do see the input shaft) <_< :( ---------am hoping it was twisted by the horses tail??? Whut do you think Roger??? :o ;)

I did move my old plow into the farm shop to get it out of the weather----------one day I might find a point that will fit it. Best I can tell------the loose left side handle mounted to a slide piece coming off the rear of the point.

They look to be about the same age alright.

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

#11045 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Nice framing job there Professor.

Loadstar has a more unique plow than this plow I ran up on. Not only has he got a gauge wheel-------but looks like he had some kind of transmission adapted to the plow. I can only imagine as to how this transmission mounted to the mule or horse----(I do see the input shaft) <_< :( ---------am hoping it was twisted by the horses tail??? Whut do you think Roger??? :o ;)

I did move my old plow into the farm shop to get it out of the weather----------one day I might find a point that will fit it. Best I can tell------the loose left side handle mounted to a slide piece coming off the rear of the point.

They look to be about the same age alright.

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

Excellent eyesight there, Delta. I had to go back and look, and sure enough, it has a transmission!!!!!

Ron

#11046 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the back up R-C-----------I ain't never seen a mule plow with a transmission!!!! :wacko: ;)

But-----------I did get a hitching post to go with the plow. Used to see these ornaments mounted on alot of front porch steps on the older houses------where they could be used as actual hitching posts for horses. Sorry to say-----------don't see many anymore. This one appears to made out of cast alluminum---------had been cracked/busted at sometime and put back together--------looks to be in good solid condition as it is (for ornamental use). Anybody got any idea as to the age on this one---------I don't find any identification on it.
(stands about 3 ft tall)

The missus allowed me to set it up on "cowboy corner" with a small collection of cowboy/horse memorbilia by the TV---------makes for a good hat rack when I come in the door. May eventually mount it on our outside entrance deck.

hitching post_cowboy corner.jpg

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

#11047 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

and-----------while we've got the old crop duster R-C on the board (and also discussing mule/horse equipment;--------- R-C should get a real kick out of this one.

Early crop dusting by mule in the Mississippi Delta------------don't believe I have ever posted this one before----------ran up on it searching for something else today. Snapped this picture of these pictures sometime/somewhere last year (think at a museum ?).

mule dusting cotton.jpg

Most likely poisoning for boll weevil in cotton here------------don't know what chemical is being used; but calcium arsenate was a big item back in the dusting days. (tough job for man, mule and later pilots)

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

#11048 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

and-----------while we've got the old crop duster R-C on the board (and also discussing mule/horse equipment;--------- R-C should get a real kick out of this one.

Early crop dusting by mule in the Mississippi Delta------------don't believe I have ever posted this one before----------ran up on it searching for something else today. Snapped this picture of these pictures sometime/somewhere last year (think at a museum ?).

mule dusting cotton.jpg

Most likely poisoning for boll weevil in cotton here------------don't know what chemical is being used; but calcium arsenate was a big item back in the dusting days. (tough job for man, mule and later pilots)

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

Delta, I will pass on the mule-dusting. I don't have any photos, but I did spend many, many hours for several years spraying DDT for corn borer control back in the fifties. Front mounted sprayer on a 1941 John Deere A with the boom raised way up to get the spray into the whorl. The corn was tall enough to just barely bend under the rear axle housing on the tractor without breaking. I wore goggles and a bandana over my mouth and nose. That John Deere and I were completely white at the end of the day. Kept the cooties off, I guess. In 1956 we started using granular chemicals which were toxic, but didn't blow all over you. Much better deal. Then I went to flying the same stuff with an airplane a few years later.

Ron

#11049 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

I went shopping today. I figured I better get another red tractor for this forum. I bought the big one, of course.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• 0312121332 (Mobile).jpg

#11050 Loadstar

Loadstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Anson and Ron, you are very observant to notice the transmission in the breaking plow photo. If I had taken the photo from the other end of the plow you would also likely have noticed the Chev V8 engine. :lol: And I"m not kidding.
Those mule dusting photos are really something. Its amazing the health hazards that used to be in farming even before the mechanized era we live in now.
Following the equine theme I have this photo showing a part of country school life that some might find a little strange nowadays. Pretty well every country school yard also included a barn (stable) for the horses to be kept in after the kids rode to school. In this photo, that barn in the background no longer exists and the school is gradually disappearing with the passing years.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1915_08.15 Gardiner School 002.jpg

Reply to this topic