213 replies to this topic

#1 ian

ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

I just got back the head yesterday from the machine shop. I elected to put in new valve guides and valves myself, to save on some labour costs.
The machinest doing the work was elderly, told me he started working in a machine shop in about 1958. He worked pretty much exclusively IHC diesels until about mid 1970's. He did a lot until the mid 1980's, and still has a few coming through.
I had cleaned the head before bringing it into him, he inspected it, no cracks were apparent, but after the magna fluxing, there was a crack running from one of the precups. I had talked on the phone with him about finding another one, but he advised me that it is very rare to find one that was not cracked. And that they repaired quite easily. After all his years of work, I didn't doubt his knowledge, and the repair was made.
We talked about the cracking issues, he had remembered all the different excuses that were brought up. But the fact was, that by the time an IH diesel came in, it was so brutally over-houred, part of the rebuild quote was to repair the cracked head, that was the nature of the beast. He had worked on a ton of jet heads, but the cracking around the precup area was never solved.
Sharing his knowledge was greatly appreciated, he does excellent work. I have my head back, repaired, machined, magna fluxed, pressure tested, ready to go. I didn't see the cracked head, truth is, that the naked eye seldom ever does, that is why this type of work gets sent out to the people with the proper equipment. :)

One stellite seat had to be installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Crack_Repair.JPG
  • Stellite_Seat.JPG
  • Planed_Head.JPG
  • Valve_Guides.JPG
  • Remachined_Head.JPG

#2 M Diesel

M Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:45 PM

Woohoo! Great news, and thanks for the info. :)

Any idea on what was done to make the repair?
Gary M
1951 M -- 1951 MD
1953 Super C -- 1957 Farmall 450
1953 TD9 "Ichabod JR" aka "Icky"
1949 TD18 "Brutus" -- 1956 TD18-182 "Yard Dog"
1964 Loadstar 1600 -- 1975 Loadstar 1700 dump truck
1949 Massey 44

#3 ian

ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

Woohoo! Great news, and thanks for the info. :)

Any idea on what was done to make the repair?

It is hard to see with my photo shot. The cracked area was ground out and rewelded. The seat was reground, remagna fluxed and repressure tested. They must have used good quality cast iron, the area is barely recognizable.

#4 M Diesel

M Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

I'm presuming a bit, but based on the screw stick pointer, the first is a crack shot and the second a new seat picture?
Gary M
1951 M -- 1951 MD
1953 Super C -- 1957 Farmall 450
1953 TD9 "Ichabod JR" aka "Icky"
1949 TD18 "Brutus" -- 1956 TD18-182 "Yard Dog"
1964 Loadstar 1600 -- 1975 Loadstar 1700 dump truck
1949 Massey 44

#5 ian

ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

I'm presuming a bit, but based on the screw stick pointer, the first is a crack shot and the second a new seat picture?

You got her figured out.

#6 dieselpwr

dieselpwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

what are the three holes below the injector ports for? My early TD9, i bealive d330, doesn't have them, I think
Anything completely planned out is no fun at all.

TD9, '97 Dodge diesel, IH1256

#7 ian

ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

what are the three holes below the injector ports for? My early TD9, i bealive d330, doesn't have them, I think

Are you talking about the two for the coolant passages?

Are you talking about the ones for the coolant passages with the outline around them from the head gasket?

#8 hardtail

hardtail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Interests:IH crawlers and harleys and anything that gives a rough ride!<br />If it's loud and crude I'll probably like it.

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:44 PM

That does look like a nice repair, have to give us local guys his name JIC. Would be worth the drive for that kind of work and experience, not so happy to hear about multiple jethead failures though.
Singles are cool, dual stackers rule, to deny this, you must be a fool.
Opportunity only knocks once, tempation leans on the doorbell

#9 overland47

overland47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:26 AM

I think your talking about the rectangular ports on the side of the head.

Therein lies the mystery of the IH heads. From what I've been able to figure out, these are not the infamous jet heads, but an updated style from what your d335 has on it. All the d350's I've seen have this style. I believe there was a water manifold that bolted on there to make it similar to a jet head. Never seen one though. That is what I've come up with researching and drawing my own conclusions :lol: :lol:

Hey Ian-

Are you rebuilding the entire engine? Have you gotten all your parts? If so where??
I've been buying parts here and there for my TD9-91 to completely overhaul it over the last year, and just got the last and most expensive....piston/liner set.
If you need any help locating stuff, let me know.
Common sense isn't very common

#10 ian

ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

If you are looking for an excellent machine shop in Edmonton, go to Weld and Grind LTD. He is located on 174th street, just north of Stoney Plains Road. The shop foreman there could probably write a library of books when it comes to engine machining. Even after all the years of working, he still gets excited about building engines.
Interesting that a water manifold bolted to the side of the 350 heads. Does anyone have a picture of one? I would assume it was an attempt to get extra circulation around those precup ports.
The mains for the 350 are still available through the machine shop, and cam bearings, I am going to order them after the crank is cut. Piston and sleeves are being made. I believe they are coming out of Nevada somewhere. The cost was comparable to what was being sold off of some old shelf. At least these will be new. Gasket set is coming from Jobbers Warehouse in Philadelphia. They provided me with excellent service throughout the years for both IHC and other makes and models. My injection work will be going to Central Fuel Injection, I think they are located in Iowa, I am not sure. They use all new internal parts when rebuilding, even comes with a warranty. I am very pleased with the injection pump on my WD9, it has been on there since 2000, runs well even at -30 below. It is definetly an expensive rebuild, but the amount of trouble free service, and good fuel economy, I don't think I will ever wear it out. It takes a while for everything to come in, I will try to update when things come in.
Where have you been getting your parts Overland?

Reply to this topic