Photo

Thurston Blu-Jet equipment??? And questions about rippers.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Detroit

Detroit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts
  • Interests:I've got a 1206 and a 1468. Olivers, Molines, and Massey. And a 7520 Deere.

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

We are looking at a few different low disturbance subsoilers right now and we like to looks of the Blu-Jet rig but know nothing about them. Are they a good built machine or should we be looking elsewhere?
A few months ago IHBOWEN from here posted a video of his 5488 mfwd pulling a Unverferth inline notill ripper and it really made an impression on us with the way it was leaving the topsoil undisturbed and in good shape for a planter or drill. Since we don't do any rowcropping and almost every acre is drilled, what types do you guys reccomend? And we have tractors from a 180 horse mfwd up to a 475 horse 4 wheel drive so power isn't a problem. We just want to do a good job.
Go Hogs Go!!

#2 striker782

striker782

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:CaseIH service manager
    Patriot Guard Rider

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:02 PM

We have sold quite a few of the BluJet rippers here in central Nebraska. Probably the only weak point is the brackets that the coulter discs mount to. We usually rent one out every fall and they often come back bent. Of course, sometimes you don't want a customer to treat it as his own! Other than that, they are very well liked. Customers like the way they don't disturb the ground on the surface.

#3 Detroit

Detroit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts
  • Interests:I've got a 1206 and a 1468. Olivers, Molines, and Massey. And a 7520 Deere.

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:16 PM

Whats the most popular one? I know they offer a few different ones. Is having a spring trip worth the extra money? We don't have any rocks or stones at all here.
Go Hogs Go!!

#4 MOChad

MOChad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:06 PM

Robbie

Here's my two cents on rippers and points. Take them for what you paid for them. Also, I've done quite a bit of digging behind DMI, Blue jet, and our Brillion ripper.

The Blue Jet is a good ripper, I think they're built all right.

However, the way they work, is that they fracture the soil structure horizontally all through using a wide point. In a high clay content soil like we have here, with freeze thaw/shrink swell, and rain compaction, the soil just tends to settle right back down on itself. Lot's of guys around here have used them in the fall, and by the next spring you can't hardly tell where you've run one.

The Brillion shank is a verticle tillage type of shank. It makes a narrow slot at the bottom, and v's out till it essentially blows out an 8 to 12 inch zone at the top of the ground. This will be a humped up zone, so it's less dense than the soil around it. When this zone swells then, it tends to blow the surrounding soil apart, further reducing compaction, rather than just letting it settle down and recompacting. I can still find ripper slots in our soils that are 3-4 years old. You'd never find that with a low disturbance horizontal fracturing ripper.

The picture here is without the firming baskets on. If we pack it down in the fall with the firming attachment, you will have a trench come spring if you get a lot of moisture over the winter. Beleive it or not, come spring you can no-till into this. It's a bit rough, but not undoable at all.

Posted Image
Present CaseIH 7140, 7120, 5240, 5140, IH 5488, IH 1466, 966. 1480

Family IH's past M, 400x2, 450, 460x2, 706G, 856, 1256, 966, 1086, 895CIH

Too bad Ignorance isn't painful!

#5 Red_Man

Red_Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I collect Farmalls and 1/16th scale farm toys, and play guitar.

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:37 AM

I ran my Unverferth 5 shank Zone Builder over 840 acres last fall, and so far I am impressed with how much better the corn looks where it was run. We'll have to let the combine tell the real story at harvest time. I did about 200 acres of corn stalks last fall that are in beans this year, they look very nice too. I ran a To The Max Harrow over the bean stubble that was no-tilled in corn, but it could have been planted without it, on the corn stalks I just harrowed the end rows to make it smoother to turn on.

Collector of red who farms with green. '49 Farmall C, Super MTA,  Farmall 350 (I'm the 2nd owner), '62 Farmall 460 Diesel. Fast hitch sub-soiler, fh 2 bottom plow, and fh grader blade. Deeres>'71 3020 Diesel, '12 7215R MFWD with IVT tranny, '03 7320 MFWD, '11 9570 combine, 693 Corn Head, 630 Flex Platform, 525 J & M grain cart, '11 1770 Front Fold Flex Vacuum 12 row planter,'10 30' 1990 CCS air drill, 5 shank Unverferth Zone Builder, 32' To The Max Harrow, 2005 Peterbilt 10 wheeler with new 20' Scott bed and hoist, 2002 Sterling ten wheeler with new 20' Scott bed and hoist, and an '04 Silverado 3/4 4x4 Extended cab. "Hey y'all, watch this!" "!

#6 Cliff Neubauer

Cliff Neubauer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:53 AM

We used a neighbor's Blue Jet several years ago when we demo'd a new 7220 mfd. The big advantage to the Blue Jet in my opinion is that it pulls easier than most other brands but I think it does less shattering too and I think at least the older models do more surface disturbance. A few years later we rented a friends DMI 2500 five shank ripper with no-till shanks and we liked it alot better. The next fall at the Farm Progress show we watched all the inline rippers run in the field demo and it seemed to us that the DMI did the most soil heaving with the least soil disturbance so that's what we ended up buying. We really like our DMI and they are pretty popular in our area. The DMI's do pull hard, our's is a good load for our MX-240 while our neighbor pulls their Blue Jet with their 1486.
Cat 55, MX-240, 5488, 1086, 1066, 1066, 1066, 5140, 826, 706, 656 Hydro, 450, M, M, M, SH, 100, 70, 1724 and KB-5 IH trucks.

#7 striker782

striker782

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:CaseIH service manager
    Patriot Guard Rider

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:19 AM

I agree that you will definitely get different results in different soil types. In our area, the soil is a sandy loam and you want to run only low enough to just get under the hard pan and fracture it. Some guys thaink they need to run as deep as they can pull it, but you will get the most benefit from the machine by running just below the hard pan so the points will lift and fracture it. We don't want a lot of disturbance further up as it seems to really dry out the ground up here. I can see that in heavier soils that you would want to open the slot up more. Now we have a few customers experimenting with zone till using an in row type ripper ahead of the planter. The jury is still out on how these will work in this area.

#8 Detroit

Detroit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

Chad: thats the thing that we want to be able to do. I almost never plant into perfect conditions. Its always rough but we get by. The drill helps to level it out a lot, actually almost like a final pass with a harrow or rotary drag. I don't think rolling baskets would work in our sticky soils but a Feurst harrow might do the trick or maybe a 3 bar harrow. Rolling baskets only do good here when its bone dry.
Cliff: how many legs are you pulling with a MX240? I know where a 6 or 7 leg 2500 DMI is with one of the closing attachments on the back but I can't remember which one it has. Whatever size it is, it has floding wings with a leg on each wing. Suppose thats a 7 shank.

The only subsoiling that ever gets done in my area is done with JD 900 and 915's and DMI Ecolotigers. Then its 2 or 3 more trips to get it worked back down and that takes away a lot of the good you just did after driving over it a few times....

Striker: our hardpan is around 10-12" deep. We usually set the rippers to go a foot deep and in a dry year like this one has been you can sure tell it helps. A lot of the cotton guys on 38" rows are running parabolic type Tye rippers with middlebusters on the back to rebuild the rows. I have borrowed one of them without the busters and ran it on some bean ground and wasn't real impressed.
Go Hogs Go!!

#9 Willbierfarms

Willbierfarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Interests:MY great red fleet so far:<br /><br /><br />1959 340U w/factory three point<br />1988 7130 8000+ hours and still rocking.<br />1930's IH Little Wonder plow 2-14's<br />1940's IH Little genius 3-16 on rubber with hyd lift<br />Case two bottom Centennial plow<br />1965 806D<br />1956 450 farmall<br /><br /><br />

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

Robbie,
I put some stuff in the mail today for ya. Get ahold of me with any questions.

Later,
Will
" I have fat chick on my couch and I can't find my pants,so I'm gonna be running a bit late" As told to Binderpower856 by yours truly on a bleary eyed post divorce Sunday morning.

It was hard enough being left handed in this world, then I went and ruined my left arm for the next six months!

#10 Detroit

Detroit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:02 PM

Thanks Will. We'll be looking for it!

Hey, got any old extra sprinkler nozzles for a T&L laying around you want to get rid of cheap? 2 of ours has the style like a endgun is and they are wore out and not working at all. Supposed to spin around and water evenly but all they do is sit there and spray in one spot. We swapped one 7 tower T&L out last week to a Nelson Rainbird style. Got one 8 tower to go and maybe we'll make a crop this year!
Go Hogs Go!!

Reply to this topic