9 replies to this topic

#1 IowaFarmall

IowaFarmall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:20 PM

I have read you can replace the rear axle seals on a Farmall H through the PTO hole instead of taking the deck off the tractor. Has anyone done this? I assume it would be much easier with the deck off, but I am not so sure about going to the work of removing the deck.
Owner of a 1945 Farmall H and a 1971 756 Farmall

#2 mmi

mmi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

If you mean the actual seals they are in small caps at end of housing

been 20 + years

remove tires ,take medium file to key edges and any other nicks rough spots,
remove 4 bolts,cap old seal
replace seal
tape or cover entire axle with something smooth overlapping in to out ( except last inch for seal)
oil axle/tape
gently slide and turn cap back into place

if it is gasket then
remove trans oil, pto unit (some early had snap ring requireing top removal)
sufficently support center
remove drawbar,tire
remove bolt (some may have c or snap ring ?) from (inside)bullgear (can not roll out (casting tab)but may be cocked/pinched later)

unbolt axle housing
with hoist /+blocks slide both away
replace gasket with lots of sealer
reinstall all parts

an afternoon/have fun

#3 Allan in NE

Allan in NE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:49 AM

I'm not recommending this "down and dirty" method to anyone, 'cause it is dangerous if you don't have your head on straight. 'Bout 30 to 40 minutes a side, going very slow and being really, really careful.

Allan

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,616 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:40 AM

You're right Allan, that is dangerous & I wouldn't recomend it to anyone! I would have at least rolled the wheel over & leaned it up against something sturdy.

I use a forktruck to remove the tire & wheel but I realize not everyone has a forktruck available but it sure says a lot of "grunt" work sliding the wheel on & off the tractor.

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '52 SM, '53 stage 1 SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - ''13 Maxxum 115, 11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 4412 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 12/23 12oo planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

#5 Allan in NE

Allan in NE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:57 AM

You're right Allan, that is dangerous & I wouldn't recomend it to anyone! I would have at least rolled the wheel over & leaned it up against something sturdy.

I use a forktruck to remove the tire & wheel but I realize not everyone has a forktruck available but it sure says a lot of "grunt" work sliding the wheel on & off the tractor.

Hi Boog,

When I was a boy, we had to change wheel settings on these old tractors as many as 6 and 8 times a season because of narrow/wide row spacings of the row crops. Also had to swap back and forth between a single front end and the wide front to put up hay. So, I guess moving an IH wheel seems as simple as putting on a pair of socks to me.

If a feller initially puts that wheel out to within one inch of the end of the axle, there is absolutely no "moving" or "sliding" to it. Just take out the clamp,let the jack down, tip 'er out, change the seal and then tip 'er back on.

I'm not even gonna show ya how I swap a front end 'cause it's far worse than the way I do the rears. I'm 62 years old and can still do it in about 15 minutes. :D

Allan

#6 Dr._EVIL

Dr._EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:03 AM

BOOG - I replaced the rear axle seal, gasket, & felt on the side of the Super H that was leaking the worst a couple years ago..... Even with tiny 12.4 X 38 tires but with full fluid and two weights each rear wheel weighs over 1000#....and if that wheel would have fallen over there was NO WAY I could have set it back up with the loader out of commision.... I used a small bottle hyd. jack to push the wheel off the axle..... and Son & I slowly rolled the wheel over and rested it against the loader & chained it up secure.
On equip. the size of Your's a forklift, overhead hoist or something would be the only way I'd do it too. At FARMALL they used overhead hoists to handle the cast wheel centers, rim's and unmounted tires they would roll around a bit but normally tires were handled with 5000# cap. CLARK forktrucks with long forks hooked to a hyd. system that SQUEEZED the forks together to hold a stack of up to six tires stacked up on their sidewalls. Once a tire was mounted on the rim and the rim to the wheel the assembly was never rolled by hand again....Either it was carried by forktruck or a hoist. During the big strike of '79 & '80 it seems like all I did was play with tires, wheels, & rims.....Move 'Em here, then move 'Em there..... then move 'Em back! I got a LOT of seat time on those squeezer trucks!

#7 IowaFarmall

IowaFarmall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:18 AM

So I am correct in assuming then I only need to remove the outside "4-bolt cap" inorder to change the seal and felt washer? The gaskets are fine between the axle housing and rear housing. I am leaking out of the outside end by the wheels.

#8 Allan in NE

Allan in NE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

So I am correct in assuming then I only need to remove the outside "4-bolt cap" inorder to change the seal and felt washer? The gaskets are fine between the axle housing and rear housing. I am leaking out of the outside end by the wheels.

Yep,

Four little bolts and it's all over. Very, very easy repair. I get the axle as clean as possible before I tear it down and lube it liberally with oil before I gently "turn" that new seal/cap into place.

Allan

#9 IowaFarmall

IowaFarmall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

Sounds easier than originally planned! Looks like the biggest part will be taking the wheels off and putting them back on! Thanks for the help everyone.

#10 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,616 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hi Boog,

When I was a boy, we had to change wheel settings on these old tractors as many as 6 and 8 times a season because of narrow/wide row spacings of the row crops. Also had to swap back and forth between a single front end and the wide front to put up hay. So, I guess moving an IH wheel seems as simple as putting on a pair of socks to me.

Allan

Allan, I'm 55 and have changed my share of wheels on Ms & SMs as well. We had a '54 SM that we dualed with a second set of cast wheels like the originals. To put the duals on we would remove the inner wheel, put the dual on with the dish in, then put the original back on with dish out. We did this at least 3 or 4 times a year. On for spring work, off for cultivating, on to pack silage, off again for the remainder of the summer, on to disc stalks & then one dual off to plow with. Used a H to plant with that when planting we put on a single front tire, then the reg narrow front back on, single on for chopping silage, & then the reg nf back on till planting time. BTW, both the duals & reg wheels on the SM were filled with calcium and when plowing we would add an additional 6 or 7 wheel weights to the 2 sets that were normally on the tractor.

Firsat time I ever did this job by myself I was 10 or 11. One of the duals got a way from me & ended up on the concrete floor. Scared the crap out of me & knew my arse was grass if my uncle found out I had done it by myself. I managed to get it back up by myself but was a long time before I ever tried doing it alone.

BTW, I also noticed you don't have your tractor blocked up vcery well. Like a friend says " your tractor, your health" so do as you please but I rather be safe than sorry. Besides, I'm at that age I rather do things the easy way. With the forktruck there is no lifting whatsoever. Just jack up the tractor, run the forks under the tire, chain tire to the mast & back away. Just reverse the procedure going back on. Hardest part is loosening & tightening the wedge bolts, but then that's what impact wrenches are for :D :D

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '52 SM, '53 stage 1 SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - ''13 Maxxum 115, 11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 4412 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 12/23 12oo planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

Reply to this topic