6 replies to this topic

#1 Cliff Neubauer

Cliff Neubauer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

Last spring my brother got a sprayer for his four wheeler but the booms made for them are expensive so we made our own. The boom is 1 1/4" tubing that's about 110" long so it has six tips on 20" spacings. At first I made the boom one piece but then I cut it down and made it so it hinges allowing it to fold up for narrow gates or to be hauled in the back of a pickup. Originally the tank just sat on the back rack and was strapped down with a couple of small ratchet straps, I had some scrap 2" square tubing salvaged from a cultivator so I used that to make a framework that the tank bolts to (the tank had some threaded fittings molded into the bottom) and at first the boom just clamped to some of the 2" tubing but to change the height you had to loosen the clamps that was kind of a pain. I ended up cutting the boom mounts and welding on a pair of 2" reciever hitch tubes so the boom height can be changed in 2" increments by pulling two pins and sliding the boom up or down, the boom can also be removed by sliding it out of the mounts. Also instead of using straps to hold it on at the back there is a piece of angle iron that sandwiches around the back rack tube and on each side on the front I made a little hook to slip around the front tube and for now two hose clamps around the back bar hold it on. It's alot more solid like this than with the straps and I want to replace the hose clamps with a couple of spring loaded pins so it can be taken on or off in a couple of seconds. I tee'd off the original hand sprayer hose for the boom with a ball valve to shut it off, I actually have a regulator and gauge to put on it but the on demand pump on the sprayer won't work with the regulator so we are just guessing on our rates right now.

We've used it to spray around alot of field edges and waterways so far and it's worked great so far. Now that I have it the way we want it I build a new one next winter that won't be cobbled together like this one is. To buy a folding ATV sprayer boom is over a $100 without any mounts which is more than I have in this one and in my opinion this one is built better.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Cat 55, MX-240, 5488, 1086, 1066, 1066, 1066, 5140, 826, 706, 656 Hydro, 450, M, M, M, SH, 100, 70, 1724 and KB-5 IH trucks.

#2 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • Interests:trying to educate people on how bad liberals are .

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:03 PM

good work ,you really should think about building some of your things for sale . you have lots of good ideas .
To all the white people of America who honestly feel that the black people have been so mistreated and given such a bad deal in this country I can only suggest that you should move yourself and your family, if you have such, into one of their neighborhoods and do everything necessary to become a integral part of their society, make every effort to blend your lifestyle into theirs, go to their stores, churches, and social gathering places for your needed things in life. send your children to schools where their children are the majority of the enrollment, and where they mostly compose the faculty and administration, get a job where they are in the majority and hold the important management positions...and most importantly of all, go the many prisons where they are being, justly...and unjustly, incarcerated and visit them and see them trying to be rehabilitated, but obviously so suppressed in their efforts that rehabilitation is just impossible. Then, after you have really gotten to know these people...many, many, many of them, from all walks of their lives and societies, and seeing their obvious appreciation of life in America, come forward and make suggestions as to how we white people should go about changing our ideals and society to better accept and integrate these people into our lives so that in a reasonable amount time there will be no more distinctions or differences in how we whites and blacks view each other and the hoped for blending and melding of our races can be completed and we can love and appreciate one another as you must think God intended.

I cannot take credit for these words ,Wish i could

#3 I have red blood

I have red blood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:09 PM

A rig like that is one thing that is priceless. They are handy to have for pasture or even in the field if you miss a strip. We were going to build a boomless sprayer for our four wheeler but when we were pricing the nozzles they were like $50 a piece. We also had to buy a bigger pump to provide the GPM we needed so we just went to TSC and bought one. It sprays 12 feet on both sides and has a small nozzle in the middle. The best thing about it is that it is narrow and you don't have to worry about catching it on trees when we spray the pasture.
'01 MX-200 '09 Maxxum 125 PRO 5288 5088 3488 1566 1456 1256656LP 706G 706D 560D 450D 300 1030 Case (3)M's (4) F-20's(2) F-12's 1480 D7 Cat D8 Cat NH L170

#4 EJH1466

EJH1466

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Farming, spending time with the family, going to auctions and fixing up old tractors and machinery

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:10 PM

Geez Cliff, do you gotta use the tractor and loader to take it off! ;) Just kidding, it looks really good. I just bought a new 15 gallon sprayer today and need to make a set of booms for the 4 wheeler. I might incorporate some of your ideas into mine!
Eric
1976 IH 1066, 1974 IH 1466, 1973 JD 4230, 1960 JD 730D, 1953 IH Super H, 1952 IH Super M, 1976 Gleaner L

#5 Ron Sorden

Ron Sorden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Tractors, Carpentry, Reading tractor forums,<br />fishing

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

Cliff, how big is the pump? Is it the 12 volt demand pump that usually comes with this type sprayer. I have a 14 gallon with a hand wand and want to build a boom for it too but don't know if I have to buy a pump with more oomph. I want to mainly spray fence rows, driveways, and then use the hand wand to spray the orchard trees so probably won't go over 6-10 feet long on the boom.

Ron

#6 Cliff Neubauer

Cliff Neubauer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

Ron, it's just the basic pump that came with the sprayer, I will check tomorrow what the GPM and pressure is on it but it seems to do fine with the six tips.

Eric, so far we haven't taken it off yet but with the boom off it shouldn't be too heavy. The 2" tubing I used was only 1/8" thick wall stuff so it's not that heavy.
Cat 55, MX-240, 5488, 1086, 1066, 1066, 1066, 5140, 826, 706, 656 Hydro, 450, M, M, M, SH, 100, 70, 1724 and KB-5 IH trucks.

#7 1967806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,876 posts
  • Interests:Farming
    Tractor pulling
    Restoring tractors and machinery.
    Collecting farm toys
    Shop projects, welding and such.
    Shooting guns
    Wood working

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:30 PM

Looks good Cliff. Where did you mount the light bar or are you using foam markers? :D :D
LOOKING FOR 806 SERIAL NUMBERS.
TRYING TO FIND 806 # 41393 AND 806 # 41395
806 serial number list as of 9-25-09
Mechanic by trade, farmer by heart.
Also sell Nutech seed
http://www.yieldleader.com/
Machines owned;
72 1466 White Cab with a 3LM
71 1466 Open Station with a 3LM
81 5288
91 7130 MFD
81 7720 4WD combine and 920 head
2600 12/23 Kinze
5 Shank Blue Jet Subtiller to slow them down
CaseIH 6500 consertill disk chisel
50 B John Deere
44AH 2x14 John Deere Plow
24T John Deere Baler
1209 John Deere Mower
94 K2500 4x4 Silverado
04 starlite gooseneck flatbed
Click the link below to see my online album.
My photo album
My Youtube videos below
http://www.youtube.com/danred806

Reply to this topic