20 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Fritsche

Andrew Fritsche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

Got our selves a Free 5000 bushal grain bin with a full areation floor and a stirator. Need to have it off the yard by next thursday or it will get sent to the land fill with the rest of the farm site, Can't move till tues. Looking at putting it on a donahue trailer to keep the hight down, its 22' in diameter and 25feet high ti the lid, What else do we need to do to move it, can we jack it up our selves orshould we get a crane? how should we brace the inside? Cliff can you repost your pics of bin moving? Thanks
2+2_MN,
New Ulm MN, Home of Schell, Hauenstein, and Grain Belt beer
6588, 756gas, 424, 300, 400Diesel, M, H, 1460AF. Fritsche Farms Reg Guernseys, 32 milking cows plus young stock.

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some ****in' muscle.

#2 Old Pokey

Old Pokey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Interests:Track layers. High speed tracks and undercarriages.<br /><br /> Target shooting.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

Helicopter?? I saw a pic of a helo moving a bin somewhere. Looked like a great way to do it.

#3 Chris826

Chris826

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:Navy Helo pilot flying the HH-60

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

How much does the bin weigh? How far does it need to go? A helo might seem a little far-fetched, but maybe not. . . . .
Cub Cadet 109, Cub, 666, 826, SH-60F and HH-60H Seahawk

IH Photo Album

#4 JD Humm

JD Humm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,912 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:45 AM

Be careful hauling it on a trailer in one piece. Two local men, brothers that farmed together, were both electrocuted hauling a bin home that way.

#5 binderpower856

binderpower856

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I like cold beer and old tractors as long as it's Coors Light and IH.

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:13 AM

Be careful hauling it on a trailer in one piece. Two local men, brothers that farmed together, were both electrocuted hauling a bin home that way.

I would have to say the same thing. It may be different where you are Andrew, but around here powerlines aren't any higher than 15 feet in most places, unless they are main lines, then they might be 25 feet. I would recommend jacking it up and removing the bottom three or four rings. It would be a whole lot easier to brace then as well. You would have to take them apart sheet by sheet because I don't imagine it would be possible to line up all the holes again anyway for re-assembly in one piece, plus you couldn't get it moved in and out from between the bin jacks... Just be careful to mark every sheet as to where it came from so you can put it back in the same place. They will fit a lot better, even though every sheet is supposed to be identicle.

There was a guy north of me about 20 miles a few years back that moved a few bins with a big Chanook (sp?) helicopter he hired out of St. Louis. Everyone said that it worked slicker than snot, but I have no idea what it cost him. He basically welded square tube in an "X" across the bottom of each bin and stuck a chain through the top hole, hooked it to a hitch point welded into the middle of the "X". You can't hook to the roof, or the roof will pull off like a pop top on a beer can...

Also, let me say that I'm glad I don't have to help! From my experience it's a whole lot easier to build new bins than it is to move old ones, but hey, I understand since it's FREE!!

Good luck

Bill
Bill Latchford Shelbina, MO (40mi west of Hannibal) Latchford Farms Website

Tractors on the farm are: 300U, 2 460G's (one with a mounted 2-MH picker), 560G, 560D, Experimental 706D 856D, 5288. Green weenies (JD) 7320, 7820, 8420, 8430, 9420, 9770 STS BR combine. D-4 Cat.

Restored Fast Hitch tools: #412 plow (mechanical lift), #540 plow, #55 7 shank Chisel, #301 Carry-all, #21 Subsoiler

Other Fast Hitch tools, #463 cultivator (x2), #45 14' Field Cultivator, IH 5' FH Brush-hog, #400 4 bottom disk plow, #200 Blade

#46 White Demo Square Baler restored... #27 White Demo baler, very rusty

Nice old 615 combine

"The plow marks the path to civilization, but the rifle is a more effective agent for the immediate settlement of issues." Joseph A. Mudd 1909

#6 frank

frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

Find enough bin jacks to jack up about halfway up the sidewall. take loose a ring of bolts around and a line down from the split. move the bottom in and nest the bin down around the bottom. Maybe there would be machinery on the site to help if they are getting rid of the farm place. We stacked 2 bins on top of each other with a hydraulic excavator once. Hydraulic settles bad so it didn't work too good but we got it.

#7 CentMO3088

CentMO3088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:49 AM

Neighbor bought a couple of bins from another neighbor and moved them himself (with a few buddies). He rented a telescopic boom forklift (Lull) to assist with the job. He said it was worth every penny taking down and putting them back up. Those things are a very handy piece of equipment for something like this. Make sure you get one with enough reach. We had one on the job that we could put material on the third floor with. Third floor was 42 feet. I think the machine would go to 54 feet. Good Luck and be careful.

Mike
In the shed: CaseIH 5220, Ford 4600 and 8630, Case 580 Super L II, '85 Chevy C-70 Ten Wheeler.
Classics in the shed: Farmall 460G, Ferguson TO-20, TO-30, TO-35, F40, F40, Case VAC.
Classics outside: IH #10 Auger Wagon, AC 66 all-crop, '73 IH 1/2 ton 4x4, '51 Ford F-3.

Gone but not forgotten: AC B, Ford 861, TW-15, IH cub, 460DT, 656G, 766D, 1066, 3088.
Good riddance: JD A.

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns, my money, my religion, and you can keep the change" Hank Williams Jr.

#8 Cliff Neubauer

Cliff Neubauer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

What we've done with a couple of 18' bins was to use bin jacks to jack them up then take off the lower rings in order to get the height down. We would take the rings off in sections of two sheets so there was less to bolt back together but it takes two people to move them that way. Once we got the bins down to about three rings tall we would back a low profile flat bed trailer underneath with bridge planks set across it for the bin to sit on. Getting the floor out of some of those older bins may be a bit of a challenge but be sure to number each piece so you know how it goes back together. If your careful you can probably just take the screw off the stirator and leave the rest of it but it will probably need to be centered over the trailer to keep the weight balanced. If you can find some bin jacks to rent they will work fine but if your in a big hurry a crane will speed things up but they aren't cheap so have everything ready for the move when it shows up. If you don't have to move the bin very far you might be able to just have a crane carry it and a big crane would be able to set it over the top of any power lines so the bin wouldn't have to be taken apart.
Cat 55, MX-240, 5488, 1086, 1066, 1066, 1066, 5140, 826, 706, 656 Hydro, 450, M, M, M, SH, 100, 70, 1724 and KB-5 IH trucks.

#9 dumbfarmer

dumbfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:46 AM

have you got the floor and fan and auger out yet? that has to come out no matter what. im in the process of doing the same thing you are although mines a little smaller and i dont have the time crunch you have. are the bolts and seams in good shape? if they are questionable or are leaking, id call all my buddies and rent some jacks and get it done, meaning complete dissasemble. that way you can reseal the seams with new bolts. you may even be able to add a few rings and stiffeners and have a bin big enough to hold something.completely dissasembling it isnt as bad as it sounds. 2 or 3 impact wrenches and 6 or seven guys with a case of cold beer as an incentive for later and it will be down and loaded before noon. B)
currently run:smta,460,706gd,966,966 turbo,1066 hydro,1066,7140mfd,MX200,
1660cummins,cat 235 excavator,cat 953c crawler loader
currently want:2388,1200planter 12/23 row

"farm till its all gone"

me and my son planting corn with 1066 and 7200 12row planter in avatar

#10 Iowa Boilermaker

Iowa Boilermaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Farming, IH's

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

Five words of advice for you:

Bruellman Bin Moving Rolfe, Iowa

Jim
Hay and Row Crop farming in Northeast Indiana.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay - providers of quality hay, Ridley Equine Products, and Crystalyx Brand tubs.

1940 IH B, 1950 AC WD, 1964 Oliver 1800C, 1967 IH 756G

Reply to this topic