anyone here goon on old cummins engines

11 replies to this topic

#1 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • Interests:trying to educate people on how bad liberals are .

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:25 AM

we have a older cummins engine in a versatile 850 tractor ,it has no aftercooler ,but is turbocharged ,im told it is a nh 250 ? ,how can i find out for sure what it actually is .i need to run the overhead and hook up the quick start feature , i think the quick start is a compression release. im a truck mechanic ,but this engine is before my time ,thanks for any help.
To all the white people of America who honestly feel that the black people have been so mistreated and given such a bad deal in this country I can only suggest that you should move yourself and your family, if you have such, into one of their neighborhoods and do everything necessary to become a integral part of their society, make every effort to blend your lifestyle into theirs, go to their stores, churches, and social gathering places for your needed things in life. send your children to schools where their children are the majority of the enrollment, and where they mostly compose the faculty and administration, get a job where they are in the majority and hold the important management positions...and most importantly of all, go the many prisons where they are being, justly...and unjustly, incarcerated and visit them and see them trying to be rehabilitated, but obviously so suppressed in their efforts that rehabilitation is just impossible. Then, after you have really gotten to know these people...many, many, many of them, from all walks of their lives and societies, and seeing their obvious appreciation of life in America, come forward and make suggestions as to how we white people should go about changing our ideals and society to better accept and integrate these people into our lives so that in a reasonable amount time there will be no more distinctions or differences in how we whites and blacks view each other and the hoped for blending and melding of our races can be completed and we can love and appreciate one another as you must think God intended.

I cannot take credit for these words ,Wish i could

#2 4020dt

4020dt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:4020 , 3020 , 4430 , 4840 , 8960 , CIH 2188 , Farmall H & M , Mack Trucks and Tractor Pulling

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:49 AM

If it is the original engine it would be a NT855 - C280 , small cam etc . Is the cpl # on it yet , if it is not or it has been changed you are about on your own .

#3 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:09 AM

no the cpl plate is gone ,got the location of where the serial # is supposed to be but it is not there.
To all the white people of America who honestly feel that the black people have been so mistreated and given such a bad deal in this country I can only suggest that you should move yourself and your family, if you have such, into one of their neighborhoods and do everything necessary to become a integral part of their society, make every effort to blend your lifestyle into theirs, go to their stores, churches, and social gathering places for your needed things in life. send your children to schools where their children are the majority of the enrollment, and where they mostly compose the faculty and administration, get a job where they are in the majority and hold the important management positions...and most importantly of all, go the many prisons where they are being, justly...and unjustly, incarcerated and visit them and see them trying to be rehabilitated, but obviously so suppressed in their efforts that rehabilitation is just impossible. Then, after you have really gotten to know these people...many, many, many of them, from all walks of their lives and societies, and seeing their obvious appreciation of life in America, come forward and make suggestions as to how we white people should go about changing our ideals and society to better accept and integrate these people into our lives so that in a reasonable amount time there will be no more distinctions or differences in how we whites and blacks view each other and the hoped for blending and melding of our races can be completed and we can love and appreciate one another as you must think God intended.

#4 806 Southern In

806 Southern In

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:27 AM

Tommy, I could easily be wrong but for some reason I didn't think the NHs were turbocharged. If you search around on the block the ESN should be stamped somewhere. Since this engine I'm sure was built well before I was born it would be neat to look up the specs. If you can find anything send me an IM and I see what I can find. Andy

User and Collector of IH Farm Equipment. My IHs: 63 404 70 1456, 79 1486, 84 684, 84 5088, 85 5488MFD, 490 disc, 710 plow, 89 S1900 with DT466 Graintruck, 6000 IH Chisel plow, IH Toolbar, 83 IH800 Cyclo Air 12RHF Planter, 84 IH800 12RN Vertical Fold Planter, 2001 2388, 1993 IH 9300 Semi, IH40 Blade

#5 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:07 PM

do you have an idea where the esn might be located ,buddy that used to work at cummins said to check of the flywheel end of the block for a ledge ,i found the ledge ,but no # on it. do you know about the compression release ?. the engine is before my time too. thanks for the help

#6 Bigwheels

Bigwheels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:01 PM

The only cummins I ever had with a compression release was a 220 , 743 cubic inch. It would have external fuel lines and if I remember right only 6 head bolts per head. If it was turbo'ed it would be a 262. A 250 could be turbo'ed and it would be a 270. I had one of those as a natural, but I don't recall it having a compression release. It was a 855 c.i.d. and had internal fuel lines. (fuel entered on the back side of the rear head)

Bigwheels

#7 sawmill

sawmill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:35 PM

Tommy W

Look on fuel pump,there should be a tag,
or numbers stamped,it will tell size,and
engine model. NH series could be turbo
charged. If it has external fuel lines to
injectors it is a NH.
There where two different series of 250's
the NH and NT .
If it has external fuel lines and turbo it can
be a 262 or 280.
The quick start is a glow plug in the air intake
manifold. On some models they call the ether
injection system a quick start.
The NH series can range from 220 to 335 horse
power depending on timing, cam,pump,and turbo.
The NT from 230 to 400. The compression release
was an option on both series. If the tractor is old
it could have a JT series or C 180 turbo charged
engine, the C180 was used in lots of equipment.
If you had a picture I could tell pretty much by
the setup what it is.

#8 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:43 PM

i dont have a digital camera yet ,it doesent appear to have external fuel lines ,i do recall a nh 220 with external fuel lines ,but it has been 20 years ago. if it does not have external fuel lines is it a nt 855 series?.ill look tomorrow for a #on the pump ,it does have a pt pump

#9 captain_crunch

captain_crunch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:42 PM

I ran a Link Belt 98 logging shovel and it had what I was told a 160 no turbo and had internal injection lines proably what Sawmill was talking about Seems you never find two people call them the same Have heard a 262 called a 260 ,265 and 266. so we could have a controversity on our hands :P :P :P :P
Betting Ole Sawmill is more than likely correct AGAIN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian
Don't be Fooled by Duals

#10 RJ-AZ

RJ-AZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:Wrench Bender

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:44 PM

I had a 1974 Versatile 750 that was rated at 250hp. It was a non turboed NA855. I beleive the 850 was rated at 300hp. They were running the PT pump and were called a constant torque engine. Try to find the specs for a 855 250-335hp engine and set the overhead accordingly. I don't really think they changed that much over the years. I know we had an old FWD plow truck when I first started here with the State with a turboed 855 rated at 270hp that had the same overhead specs as I used my same old tools.

In Memory of Carol Fly, 11/20/1949 - 10/21/2007
" I don't like it but I guess things happen that way" John R Cash
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends"
Forbidden fruits create many Jams!!

Reply to this topic