16 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Epperson

Jason Epperson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

Today I finally got my 1086 back together after a clutch and T.A. job. I started the tractor and ran it for a few minutes before I tried the clutch and its not releasing. Gears just grind. I adjusted both sides of the slave cylinder, free travel, dump valve and trans. brake according to the I.T. manual. My factory IH service manual was missing the pages on clutch adjustment. Any ideas. Do I need to somehow bleed the system?

#2 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:10 PM

Today I finally got my 1086 back together after a clutch and T.A. job.  I started the tractor and ran it for a few minutes before I tried the clutch and its not releasing.  Gears just grind.  I adjusted both sides of the slave cylinder, free travel, dump valve and trans. brake according to the I.T. manual.  My factory IH service manual was missing the pages on clutch adjustment.  Any ideas.  Do I need to somehow bleed the system?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No bleeding necessary.

Did you have the flywheel turned?

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#3 Jason Epperson

Jason Epperson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:12 PM

Today I finally got my 1086 back together after a clutch and T.A. job.  I started the tractor and ran it for a few minutes before I tried the clutch and its not releasing.  Gears just grind.  I adjusted both sides of the slave cylinder, free travel, dump valve and trans. brake according to the I.T. manual.  My factory IH service manual was missing the pages on clutch adjustment.  Any ideas.  Do I need to somehow bleed the system?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No bleeding necessary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I had the flywheel turned, both faces. I put a clutch disc out of a 1486 in there also. Same diameter just had 2 extra buttons.

#4 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No bleeding necessary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I had the flywheel turned, both faces. I put a clutch disc out of a 1486 in there also. Same diameter just had 2 extra buttons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was there a rounded edge on the clutch mounting surface next to the ring gear or did they cut it out square like it is supposed to be?

I have also seen the friction surface cut past spec and end up with the clutch disc rubbing the flywheel bolts.

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#5 Jason Epperson

Jason Epperson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

I believe that it was bround smooth and square to the ring gear. I can't remember for sure. I took the TA housing, MCV, and flywheel to the Case-IH dealer and they did all the work to it. I tore it down and put it back together.

#6 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:26 PM

I believe that it was bround smooth and square to the ring gear.  I can't remember for sure.  I took the TA housing, MCV, and flywheel to the Case-IH dealer and they did all the work to it.  I tore it down and put it back together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you look up at the throwout bearing are all of the fingers the same distance from the bearing?

Which clutch bell crank mounting do you have? Mounted to the bell housing or on a bracket bolted to the cab?

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell

#7 Jason Epperson

Jason Epperson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:32 PM

I believe that it was bround smooth and square to the ring gear.  I can't remember for sure.  I took the TA housing, MCV, and flywheel to the Case-IH dealer and they did all the work to it.  I tore it down and put it back together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you look up at the throwout bearing are all of the fingers the same distance from the bearing?

Which clutch bell crank mounting do you have? Mounted to the bell housing or on a bracket bolted to the cab?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bellcrank is bolted to the cab. I haven't checked the distance from the fingers to the release bearing yet. They told me at the dealer that the clutch plate was ready to go.

#8 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bellcrank is bolted to the cab. I haven't checked the distance from the fingers to the release bearing yet. They told me at the dealer that the clutch plate was ready to go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just make sure the clutch fingers are relatively evenly spaced from the throwout bearing surface. An uneven gap could be a clue that there is a problem. Or assurance that there is not a problem.

Also look for the position of the fingers relative to the center hub of the pressure plate. Where is the throwout bearing on the support sleeve?

Block the clutch pedal in the down position and see if the throwout bearing is depressing the fingers a sufficient amount to release the clutch.

Just some ideas.

Jim N.

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell

#9 red mechanic

red mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:51 AM

Jason, It could be the flywheel has had the more than than the maximum allowable material removed. If it has had 2 or 3 clutches put in the flywheel may be past the allowable specs. Then you have what you are experiencing. Good luck.

#10 Jason Epperson

Jason Epperson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:39 AM

I looked at the release fingers and they looked evenly spaced but I will measure them to be sure. What should the gap be between the bearing and fingers with the engine off?

Reply to this topic