54 replies to this topic

#31 Barnstormer

Barnstormer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:47 PM

caseih11 that is awesome. I have heard a few guys pop a turbo and a few blown clutches but have never seen a block literally crack in half and throw everything "up". Those pics are great.

Now I'm really excited about next seasons first pull.
I just dropped my head off today to get some "tweaking" done to it and the guy at the shop was very interested to see mine back on the dyno after he was done with it..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what do you pull?i must have seen you before,but can't get a grip on any Tony.
i do know a few guys from your area though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I havent pulled before. I just baught my tractor last summer but spent most if the few weeks of the season helping at the local pull with the ffa. Also was trying to get it running. I have a '62 560d.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

used to be a 560 over in that neck of the woods with a turbo and a big roosa master pump on it,i seen him pull a few times.
ran pretty good,but was seriously underpowered to play in the open classes.
the gas jobs wouldn't let him pull with them because he had a turbo,but when he did pull with them he was just about dead even with them.

#32 IH-Harvester

IH-Harvester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

What mods would it take to make a stock 400 series engine into a 5k+rpm puller? Any idea on price?

#33 Bulldog Red

Bulldog Red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:IH tractors,Dodge musclecars and trucks IH owned 74 1066,Mopar owned 65prostreet Plymouth Satellite,440 4spd "Don't Tread On Me"

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

What mods would it take to make a stock 400 series engine into a 5k+rpm puller? Any idea on price?

Alot less than it would take to build a green one that would pull with it.

#34 Trouble

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Tractor pulling and building pulling tractors

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

It depends on how many cubes and how big of turbo you want to run. 466 hot farm with a 3x3 around 5k with good parts. A 600 with a big charger about 30k.

#35 IH-Harvester

IH-Harvester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

yes 466 hot farm,rotary pump. Can you give me a ruff run down of parts? Turbo,pump,lines,injectors. I know I'm not asking for much-lol

#36 Killer Red Mater

Killer Red Mater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Interests:I now own a small trucking co with 2 hired drivers/Beck Metal Express LLC Plus build parts or complete pulling tractors.

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Some of what comes into play here are the rules for your area.

466 cut the pistons for a bigger cam and I like to do some bowl work as well Really makes it come to life.

Put a good cam in it with hardened stock rods using ARP bolts. If you can atleast mildly port the head and give it a 3 angle valve job. Spring the valves according to the cam you choose.

Thats the easy stuff ............... now gets into the stuff that will really go according to rules. Pump and turbo need to follow rules ............ unless you have none. I recommend a P7100 with 13mm plungers ............... this will grow with you if you go up in classes. Turbo .......... well ........... what are the rules? Injectors .........5x22 dual feed with .093 lines.

This will run hard and be fun to drive . Will also turn lots of RPM if you are allowed. Need more info ? #402/750-8652 call me .... Keith
Current tractors........." Killer Red Mater 966", "scrappy 966" A 466 3x4 charger tractor named "Henry" and a new alky build I have named "the ALL NIGHTER"

" Its hard to put money in your pocket if all you do is sit on your A$$"

#37 IH-Harvester

IH-Harvester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

Some of the local tracks have different rules. Some are 5mph,some 7mph some unlimited mph open classes. I would think the slower classes would be limited to 3000rpms might not work out to well with a 6k rpm tractor. I think the high rpm would be more fun but i think there are fewer tracks to run at.Red Mater- what kind of HP are we talking with a setup that you recommended? There is a open class oliver with a 3208 cat that I have in my sights,water injection and all. He's a real strong runner.

#38 Killer Red Mater

Killer Red Mater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Interests:I now own a small trucking co with 2 hired drivers/Beck Metal Express LLC Plus build parts or complete pulling tractors.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

well again I dont know your rules but this combo will run VERY hard!!!! set up basically like a small cube superfarm if you are running a 3x3 charger
Current tractors........." Killer Red Mater 966", "scrappy 966" A 466 3x4 charger tractor named "Henry" and a new alky build I have named "the ALL NIGHTER"

" Its hard to put money in your pocket if all you do is sit on your A$$"

#39 SMiller

SMiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

Around here the 2255's that pull in the open farm class are near last every night because they have to run a rotary pump and they just can't get enough fuel, seems all the 15mm pumped IH's will just walk all over it!

As others said WHAT are your rules? Rotary pump, 3LM, 3,000rpm or is the sky the limit, we don't know...

Did anyone notice this thread is 4 years old, who brought this thing back to life?!

#40 tw460

tw460

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

IH-harverster and I are looking to build a puller that i guess you would call a Hot farm stock, we think :rolleyes: . The class we would be pulling in is unlimited 11,000lb class, and maybe a 9000lb class. The rules are very vague for this class, and it seems the more money you have, the more you can get away with. Tractors in this class run anywhere from 3000 to 6000 rpms, (very vague)

You can't tell whats done to the tractors in this class because they have engine shields for the most part, and there's no money involved most of the time, so people don't check. The tractor frames have to appear stock for the most part.

I guess what we're asking is how to get the biggest bang for our buck. We have the 466 motor, but are not sure what pump, turbo, injectors, lines to put on it. We aren't looking to put big, big bucks into the tractor, but would like to build a competitive tractor, (mainly for that 2255 oliver).

We be great to know a couple different combinations, what hp range would a particular combination put us in, and how much to build that particular combination.

Thanks in advance

Travis

Reply to this topic