30 replies to this topic

#1 HMR

HMR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:20 PM

Just got back from seeing "Walk the Line." What model Oliver does Johnny Cash back into the lake? Is it something like a Super 88? I don't know my Olivers very well. If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend it.
Best,
HMR
I still have all his old vinyl albums, but no turntable anymore. BTW, I hadn't realized the simmering conflict between him and his dad.
1954 Minneapolis Moline ZB, 1954 Super H, 1958 350, 1957 450, 1958 650 LPG, 1968 CC 125, 2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins DRW

#2 Les

Les

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:50 AM

I haven't seen the movie and I haven't seen Johnny Cash's tractor but I have seen President Eisenhower's Massey Ferguson. I think it's a 35.

#3 Putt-Putt Operator

Putt-Putt Operator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:34 AM

I haven't seen the movie and I haven't seen Johnny Cash's tractor but I have seen President Eisenhower's Massey Ferguson.  I think it's a 35.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Les - is the 35 sitting at the farm in Gettysburg? I never noticed it.

#4 Putt-Putt Operator

Putt-Putt Operator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:35 AM

There's a link to an article discussing that tractor and the double they used for it in the movie - an account given by the tractor's owner. I somehow think it was posted on here not that long ago.

#5 TP from Central PA

TP from Central PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,900 posts
  • Interests:Collecting IH's and brand X tractors...................Looking for more!

Basically if it is Junk, I like it!

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

Eisenhower must have used all unique brands...............Locals say it was big news back years ago when Cockshutt gave him a 50? Don't remember the model well, but everyone else had tractors that could pull up to three bottoms then, with most tugging two still, and he gets one given to him to yank 4 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TP's notebook, Winter 2014..............Case/IH Parts man- "Once you have a Gleaner you gain the comforting knowledge that you are stuck at the bottom of the food chain in the combine world with no hope of ever going up"............."Every time I climb into a sound-guard cab I feel like the Apollo Astronauts did when they climbed through the hatch".............."Farmers are making way to much money when the rural bank remodels both the front AND rear entrance"...................."Horses eat money and S**T work"- Famous Red power member.

#6 Huffy244

Huffy244

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Hunting / Farming, Looking at Red stuff

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:42 AM

TP, &PPO every Memorial day, outside of Gettysburg, Stanley Wolf puts out around 100 tractors and related equipment he has. He has one tractor given to Eisenhower, by, I think is cockshut. He also has alot of red power and white demo's. Yes, he even has some green weenies and orange pumpkins. Free to the public every Memorial day weekend. Also has supposedly a milk bottle for every dairy in Adams county. Lots to see and well worth the trip to see if within an hour or so. He says it takes him 300 gal of gas for the weekend. Also has a self propelled NH baler. I am going to try next year to go over and take pictures. Don't know how many years Stanley will be doing this.
IH all the way. 7120 mfd,5140mfd,1066,986,666,CNH T5050, 34A, lots other red to come and some gone.

#7 Putt-Putt Operator

Putt-Putt Operator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:44 AM

Huffy - I had no idea Stanley even had anything - I must not have been paying attention. Rodney is a name I hear more often. :ph34r:

#8 Huffy244

Huffy244

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Hunting / Farming, Looking at Red stuff

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:52 AM

Rodney is Stanley brother. Rodney put out about10-15 around the same time( maybe July4Th). Stanley had a pretty big operation years ago. Still farms some but has scaled way back. He live next to the campground on 30 that floods all the time. Road names not sure of. He lives on the road that goes frm 30 to Eisenhowers farm. (backhorse tavern?) Heck I drive all over town and couldn't tell you half the street names. Local joke s third monument on the left.
IH all the way. 7120 mfd,5140mfd,1066,986,666,CNH T5050, 34A, lots other red to come and some gone.

#9 Putt-Putt Operator

Putt-Putt Operator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:35 AM

Huffy - I never did learn the names of the roads that didn't go down 15 or 30 East. No shame in not knowing the names of all of them - lots of places not worth going. My dad seems to know them all and he sure likes to toot his own horn when he mentions a road and I don't know what it is.

#10 Red_Man

Red_Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I collect Farmalls and 1/16th scale farm toys, and play guitar.

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:48 AM

From what I've been told and could see in the movie, it is a 77 Oliver. Read where they took the engine out of it before they let it roll backwards into the lake...

Collector of red who farms with green. '49 Farmall C, Super MTA,  Farmall 350 (I'm the 2nd owner), '62 Farmall 460 Diesel. Fast hitch sub-soiler, fh 2 bottom plow, and fh grader blade. Deeres>'71 3020 Diesel, '12 7215R MFWD with IVT tranny, '03 7320 MFWD, '11 9570 combine, 693 Corn Head, 630 Flex Platform, 525 J & M grain cart, '11 1770 Front Fold Flex Vacuum 12 row planter,'10 30' 1990 CCS air drill, 5 shank Unverferth Zone Builder, 32' To The Max Harrow, 2005 Peterbilt 10 wheeler with new 20' Scott bed and hoist, 2002 Sterling ten wheeler with new 20' Scott bed and hoist, and an '04 Silverado 3/4 4x4 Extended cab. "Hey y'all, watch this!" "!

Reply to this topic