• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1973travelall

1973travelall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

I would like to know more about this little refrigerator. I got it about a month ago and it was pretty dirty on the outside, but cleaned up nice. I did a lot of sanding and prepping before I painted it with epoxy appliance white. This is a pretty small refrigerator, not much more than 5 feet if that. I am not sure as the model or year, but I love it and it works AWESOME for being at least 57 years old.

MattAttached File  front before and after.jpg   94.99KB   57 downloadsAttached File  left side 2 before and after.jpg   54.09KB   53 downloadsAttached File  left side before and after.jpg   49.5KB   29 downloadsAttached File  right side before and after.jpg   59.22KB   26 downloadsAttached File  top before and after.jpg   46.24KB   28 downloadsAttached File  top before and after 2.jpg   53.14KB   20 downloads

#2 Michael Halsall

Michael Halsall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • Interests:Engines from TITANs to TURBO diesels.

McCormick-Deering & McCormick standard tread tractors.

Classic Crawlers

IH Corporate History

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

I know nothing about them, but apparently IH refrigerators had a good reputation for reliability :)
Looks like this one is still going strong!

Regards from M.H.

#3 Michael Halsall

Michael Halsall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • Interests:Engines from TITANs to TURBO diesels.

McCormick-Deering & McCormick standard tread tractors.

Classic Crawlers

IH Corporate History

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

I would like to know more about this little refrigerator. I got it about a month ago and it was pretty dirty on the outside, but cleaned up nice.

IH left the domestic refrigerator market in 1955 according to my reference book.
Is there a model number listed on a data plate etc?

#4 farmerboy3

farmerboy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:IH Tractors and Machinery

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

looks like from the late 50's early 60"s

we have one from the late 40's early 50's and still goin strong...............................its a better refrigerator than the one in my kitchen
1985 Steiger Cougar Kr-1280
1992 CaseIH 9250
1992 CaseIH 7120 MFWD
1980 IH 3388 2+2 (been on the farm since new)
1985 CaseIH 1460 combine
1984 IH 1460 Combine
1948 McComick W-4 (Dads tractor)
1956 IH 600D Seized at the moment
1955 IH W-400 starting the resoration process

#5 1973travelall

1973travelall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

I haven't found the data plate yet, maybe it has been removed. i will look on the compressor once and see........

#6 Tractractor

Tractractor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Grandkids, Working on my projects.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Data plates were on the back/top of the refrigerator.
1932 T20, 1937 T20, 1939 TD35, 1948 KB8F, 1949 KB2, 1946 U9pu, 5 Cub Cadets.

#7 MAB

MAB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

I would like to know more about this little refrigerator. I got it about a month ago and it was pretty dirty on the outside, but cleaned up nice. I did a lot of sanding and prepping before I painted it with epoxy appliance white. This is a pretty small refrigerator, not much more than 5 feet if that. I am not sure as the model or year, but I love it and it works AWESOME for being at least 57 years old.

MattAttached File  front before and after.jpg   94.99KB   57 downloadsAttached File  left side 2 before and after.jpg   54.09KB   53 downloadsAttached File  left side before and after.jpg   49.5KB   29 downloadsAttached File  right side before and after.jpg   59.22KB   26 downloadsAttached File  top before and after.jpg   46.24KB   28 downloadsAttached File  top before and after 2.jpg   53.14KB   20 downloads

Did you replace the seals as well?

The compressor likely won't have a date stamp. It may have a stamp that say "Tight-Wad". That was what Harvester called their compressors.

The serial number and date were stamped on a square tin plate with warranty information. I will have a look for a possible date based on model.

You are lucky that the handle and emblem are still there. What does the inside look like... do you still have the shelves? Good Find. Nice restoration job!

#8 1973travelall

1973travelall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

I did not replace the seal as it is actually in pretty good shape. I am going to put some type of rubber comditioner on it like Vaseline or something. The inside is decent, but is missing the drip tray under freezer and lower drawers. All the rest is there. There are two small holes in the plastic of the door. I am thinking of filling them with some expanding foam or ?!?!?

#9 Lars(wisc.)

Lars(wisc.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Years ago some home owner's insurance companies would not write policies for homes that contained a certain model of International Harvester refrigirator citing they were a fire risk. you could do a bit of internet research and the whole low down on the history of that.

#10 RickG

RickG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:modifying 1/16th scale farm diecasts & 1/8th scale automobile models.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

As the wife & I watched a rerun of the final episode of FRIENDS recently, I noticed that their frig was an IH. It struck me odd that an apartment in New York city would have an IH frig, even if it was on a tv show. Just how widespread was the appliance division of IH?

RickG