Photo

help----age & manufacturer of mule plow??

13 replies to this topic

#11 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the insight ya'll. The swedge head on the bolts mounting the shank to the beam are definitely primitive------other bolts are a form of carriage head/plow bolts.

Harold---------yep; getting the old mule tuned up right now---------and gotta get the vertical exhaust sytem mounted up on him. I figure if anyone had ever invented a vertical exhaust sytem for the mule----------tractors would have been much harder to sell!!!! :huh: :o :blink: :lol:

As rough a ride as the steel wheels and lugs were----------they were a definite improvement over the mule.

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

#12 oleman

oleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

When the day was over and I had been plowing peanuts in a field a mile from the barn, I could unhook the traceses at the plow, double them over the hames, crawl on the mules back and she would take me back to the barn!!! without any guidance from me at all.
Lets see you do that with and T R A C T O R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My IH464 always gets lost! unless I carefully guide it and if I fell off it would have no qualms about running me over and over!.

#13 Delta Dirt

Delta Dirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

The old mule would tell you when noon time and quitting time came also.

I never worked one in the field----------but have heard of many that absolutely would not move between 12 noon and 1:00 p.m. .

I do remember passing by Cummings Prison Farm in Arkansas on numerous occasions late in the afternoon--------they worked mostly grey mules in the field. You could see the long grey line of mules walking single file back to the headquarters------the convicts would be riding along just as you described. There would be so many---------that you could see the dust cloud created by the mules long before you could see the mules themselves. (wish I had a picture of that scene-------that's an era gone by now)

Delta Dirt
Avon, Ms 38723

#14 660 driver

660 driver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts
  • Interests:Tractor pulling and workin on old binders. 660,F-20,30,14,12,W-30,460gas,1947 M,22-36,'53 Super M,IHC model "M" hit and miss,and allis chalmers c.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

Dad and I used to cut hay with the mules.....also tried to plant corn with them one year......that didnt work so hot! Mules work awesome for cutting hay cause they walk at a faster steady pace than any team of horses can. Those mules could really make that old No.9 McCormick Deering high gear mower sing! Dad would drop a field then I would go through with the '47 M and cunningham crimper.
Everybody bleeds red!

Reply to this topic